10 replies to this topic

#1 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

Does anyone know from experience if a 215/65x14 tyre on a factory 5.5" 260Z mag wheel will have sufficient clearance to the front spring perches etc?
If OK then that gives me a couple more options - very close to the same rolling diameter as the usual size 195/70x14 - as the 14" tyre range is rather limited these days.
From what I can deduce I don't think a 5.5" mag wheel will suit anything wider than 215 in any case.

Feedback on this query would be most appreciated.
I've dug back through previous posts but all the chat seems to be about larger rims & what max will fit under the guards!

#2 haul

haul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

I don't think many run 14'' rims anymore, I have 7''x14'' and am running 215/65/14 on the front and have about 10mm gap between the tyre and the spring perch, maybe you could pick up an old tyre and do a test fit to make sure before spending the big dollars on the wrong size.
Cheers Tony

#3 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Thanks Tony, yes I can organize a test fit if necessary. I've got a set of bare factory 14" rims & want to put tyres on them, that's all. Just thought I'd ask if any other 260Z owners still run 14" & if so what tyre size(s) suit.

#4 Triptych

Triptych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Tagline:77 GS30

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

There is some 215x60 on the stock rims on my 260z at the moment. Will upload pics when on the PC due to the file size restrictions. It's a tight squeeze between wheel and spring but they are lowered springs as well

#5 Triptych

Triptych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

here are the pictures.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for going to the trouble on my account Triptych, much appreciated, yes they do run rather close to the spring perch.....I would have expected more clearance.
Whether the springs are lowered or not wouldn't make any difference would it? Unless you've moved the spring perch.....
Looks like I'll have to try a 215/65 tyre on a factory rim myself.

#7 Triptych

Triptych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

It's ok the car is semi in pieces at the moment so the pics were easy. Yeah I didn't think the springs would make a difference just thought I should mention everything. There is only a few mm gap but will check the passenger side tomorrow to confirm its the same both sides. I only got the project a couple weeks back so still haven't had much time to start her.

#8 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

Gilltech, i have a selection of rims in 14" fitted with older style large/tall rubber, welcome to come by, grab one of each, based on your rim backspace measurement, and the backspace measurement on these i have here, and see what does, or does not work.

I'd suggest a 215 width on a5.5" is not an ideal fitment, more a 195.
If wanting close to original size rubber, maybe have a look at some of the commercial range of tyres, ie vans and utes?

#9 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

On my factory rims Im fairly sure I ran 205/60 yokohamas. ......could have been 65 series. There under the house and its too cold outside for me to check properly.  ::)

#10 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for all your input guys. I've now got hold of an old 215/65 tyre so will get that put on to a factory rim & see how it looks, as dat2kman says rim might be borderline narrow.
Failing that I'll go with a 195/70, hopefully there are still 'performance' tyres available in 14", Tyrepower list a couple.
Many thanks!

#11 fluegel

fluegel

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

My z with factory mags has a spare with a yokohama radial 357 205/70, the rears are Goodyear GT Sport 70 P195/70 and the fronts are Bob Jane all rounders P185/75 as that was all the could get ,or so they told me.. The recommended size on the glovebox sticker is175 HR 14 ! I need to replace all the tires eventually so what would be good for nice ride and handling as I want to use the original rims.

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users