New floor pan

Rod F

I finally attempted to fix the drivers side floor last weekend. Unfortunately when I tried to weld in a new patch the rest of the floor blew away, it's just too thin.  :(

So, i've decided to replace the whole floor with a new one. I'm going to get some quotes this weekend from restoration shops to get an idea.

I'm guessing someone else has already done this, what sort of price did they pay, and what was done? I'd probably buy one of those Rarespare ones and then paint and sound deaden it myself.

Thanks,

I made a template out of cardboard and got mine made up at a sheetmetal shop.  The hardest part was cutting the original floorpan (what was left of it) away from the seat mounts and the body stiffener that runs lengthways under the floorpan.  Other than that it all went reasonably smoothly.

Good luck with it  ;)

I've ordered a floor pan from Rare spares for $138 (I think), got two quotes to chop the old floor out and weld new one in, one was $400, the other $1200.

I might give Zworx a call.

If they can't do any better, I might look at doing it myself. I did some practice welds yesterday so i'm a bit more confident but still have the reinforcing arm under the floor to worry about, as it's a bit banged up.

Cheers

Nathan are you back?

Nathan I think you'll find it will be $600 to cut out the old floor and weld the new one in, that excludes the cost of the new floor pans which is 145 per side. Lurch is a wiz with the MIG. Ask him for a price to do the job if he has time!? He did a fantastic job on my rear tail light cutting and welding!

i have developed up the complete, under floor rail, up to the castor rod chassis/ floor support rails, i can make them in 1.2->2mm Zinc anneal sheet, ill have to price them up as i have to make them at work, but can be an excellent way to stiffen her up with fresh metal, i prefer to tig stuff when it comes to cars.  Mig is ok but need to poer her down.

nato

• 4 weeks later...

I started work on it yesterday, so far have cut out the old floor and tidied everything up. Need to make some patches for extra areas as well. Photo's show the old floor, and what happens when you simply weld a new sheet of metal over an old one - rust. I also peeled back some sound deadener to find some there as well.

I've removed the rear seat mounting brackets and need to remove old metal from them as well. They also needed fixing as they have cracked.

post-118-144023477459_thumb.jpg

post-118-144023477465_thumb.jpg

post-118-144023477468_thumb.jpg

post-118-144023477471_thumb.jpg

Well, tonight I removed the rest of the floor from the rear mounting bracket. I found using an air chisel to be quite effective in carving through the factory spotwelds. As you can see, one of the brackets has cracked quite badly. I welded in a new section of metal for that.

The other side will need checking, I might be able to get away with just welding it up.

post-118-144023477482_thumb.jpg

post-118-144023477485_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...