Anyone running these triple Carb?

Retro Z

Love the solex carbs for the L there a treat to work with , and for the L 28 go with the 44 every time , the new webers have nothing on the old solex carbs , if you can find some 13 webers from the Italy there very good as well , pay a bit more for the old carbs and your car will drive so much better , look on yahooo japan they come up from time to time , we got some last week

I agree 100% on that peter Is a perfect combination for a L series just weigh a bit more, I love the external pump adjustment, Taper Bore, I stuck a bore camera down the venturi and you could see the piston, I was lucky to find 5 sports 2000 carbs and managed to find three good bodies as they are soft , On a flat top piston L28 with a E31 head Les built for me when he was at Datrally, Tony helped me make up a intake manifold from a L4 Datrally manifold we cut it in half and Tony had the centre intake runners cast to suit 3&4 cylinder and we bolted it to the head matched ported it dowled it and welded it all together with the 44phh rose joints on all the linkages . Could be heard in the pits at sandown full noise across the back straight and everyone would say to me, " I didnt know Datrally made a 6 cylinder intake manifold" they dont, but the person who was making the Datrally intake manifolds in NSW Died an the foundry shut down , so I have a very unique intake manifold and is still on the same engine since 1993 and still goes hard

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread again sorry but where did you guys land with this? 

What ive taken away is the best way to go is Mike's option of either the weber's or OER's?

I went for the Kameari intake kit:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/kameari-intake-manifold-kit-l-type-l6-42mm.html

and the three new 45 dcoe webers from weber performance melbourne:

http://www.weberperformance.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=1_9&products_id=1

The kameari kit contains the bakelite spacers that alot of people recommend over soft mounts.

I was wary of reading alot of people having problems (even for years!) of trying to get the 2nd hand set of triples they picked up for a bargain, then ended up spending more than what it would cost new to get them sorted and tuned.

I did want to go Japanese with mikuni/OER but chose the webers for local technical support/parts availability. And they sound just as good  ;D, could not be happier.

PS if you want OER:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/oer-racing-carburetor-kit-45mm-wire-type-l-series.html

Also where can I get in touch with Lou Mondello? workshop name/ph number

Edited by DanielRai

So after having these carbs for a couple of years now my verdict is that I should have gone for the OER's. While the car drives great on these carbs, they started to leak at places shortly after I wrote the below post. So for new carbs, that's disappointing. Has anyone here been using new OER's? I'd be interested in how they are holding up in terms of maintaining their tune and if they leak like my spanish webers? From what I saw on the Brown Hornet's new OER's I was impressed with what appeared to be much better quality in the casting etc. It was a shame because I had already purchased my webers and the AU$ was really good at that time.

I went for the Kameari intake kit:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/kameari-intake-manifold-kit-l-type-l6-42mm.html

and the three new 45 dcoe webers from weber performance melbourne:

http://www.weberperformance.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=1_9&products_id=1

The kameari kit contains the bakelite spacers that alot of people recommend over soft mounts.

I was wary of reading alot of people having problems (even for years!) of trying to get the 2nd hand set of triples they picked up for a bargain, then ended up spending more than what it would cost new to get them sorted and tuned.

I did want to go Japanese with mikuni/OER but chose the webers for local technical support/parts availability. And they sound just as good  ;D, could not be happier.

PS if you want OER:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/oer-racing-carburetor-kit-45mm-wire-type-l-series.html

So after having these carbs for a couple of years now my verdict is that I should have gone for the OER's. While the car drives great on these carbs, they started to leak at places shortly after I wrote the below post. So for new carbs, that's disappointing. Has anyone here been using new OER's? I'd be interested in how they are holding up in terms of maintaining their tune and if they leak like my spanish webers? From what I saw on the Brown Hornet's new OER's I was impressed with what appeared to be much better quality in the casting etc. It was a shame because I had already purchased my webers and the AU$ was really good at that time.

Ah that's a shame but after reading some more on another thread I think I read that the OER had poor casting and were a pia to tune so not really sure where that leaves me, either going weber/oer new or looking into second hand triples but Im new to carbs so is there one definitive leader in the best option for triples in reliability and performance?

What sort of leaks are you referring to? Do you have a picture?

I have been running my brand new OERs for a good year now. Stacked on a heap of Kms and I have seen a bit of dry fuel on my heat shield.

My Webers have the following info on the covers;

"Weber Bologna - Tipo 40DCOE2 4D11"

Can anybody comment on where they stand in the Weber rankings?

I bought them with the motor in 1988 - so they are at least that old.

They need attention - so I would like to know how good they are before I start spending money on them.

Edited by GongZ

• Administrators

Italian weber's are meant to be better than the Spanish ones. I think generally speaking Solex and Mikuni are regarded as best carbs for an L-series but older quality webers are pretty good. I drove a Triple weber 280z in San Francisco recently and it felt good in terms of response etc.. Like fuel injection.

Not idea if they leak...I could ask the owner?

I can get 40 and 44 Mikuni's but wonder if price is the deciding factor here for those asking?

Italian weber's are meant to be better than the Spanish ones. I think generally speaking Solex and Mikuni are regarded as best carbs for an L-series but older quality webers are pretty good. I drove a Triple weber 280z in San Francisco recently and it felt good in terms of response etc.. Like fuel injection.

Not idea if they leak...I could ask the owner?

I was looking into efi itb set up but was a bit put off by the price although it may be better in the long run

I can get 40 and 44 Mikuni's but wonder if price is the deciding factor here for those asking?

I would rather spend once and buy older quality than have new weber/oer and have lots of issues

• Moderators

I would rather spend once and buy older quality

Always better to wait and get good quality - cheaper in the long run.

Like most I have tried cheaper shortcuts and they have proven to be a false economy.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers

PB

What sort of leaks are you referring to? Do you have a picture?

I have been running my brand new OERs for a good year now. Stacked on a heap of Kms and I have seen a bit of dry fuel on my heat shield.

All three leak, I regularly retighten screws, nuts where I can.leaks.jpg

Edited by sydney mike

New OERs are low quality Chinese made I believe. Spanish Webers are nowhere near as good as those made in Bologna, Italy. Stick to Mikuni's, Italian Webers or Dellorto's. Don't waste money on poor quality stuff!

Edited by Brabham