#21 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

Dave, yes cable ties are fine. The adhesive is crap, and velcro is frowned upon.
The readoning on cable ties is, by the time they get to melt in a fire situation, you should have been either extracted from car, or not with us anymore, if it is severe.

As for AASA, if it wasnt for the existing and ongoing training that CAMS conducts in Qld, there wouldnt be the appropriately trained officials.AASA does no training, grading or certification nor does it intend to.

The ability for absolute numpties with big fat chequebooks to build Superlap/TimeAttack cars, having had no progressive race craft/track craft, is way too easy. Why?
'cos AASA is very happy to take your $200 for their full race licence, not be a member of a club that will groom you up to this, and let these numpties out on a track for door to door stuff.

Hence also the huge popylarity of lapdash jockeys, with quite a few coming to grief, due to the ease of doing it.
260det, get licensed up, and run with the AASA "outlaws" class, your car is on par with them, and then come back and comment on that experience! Let us know how the flaggies, or lack of, are so needed, let us know how the two local tracks handle on track incidents.
Many on here are conversant with CAMs run events and procedures and conduct.

I've raced at a few AASA run tracks, under their control, and they have a hell of a lot of improvements that can be done to come up to events that are under CAMS.

#22 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

You AASA knockers must go to a different Lakeside to me, see my incar video of Michael's prang not long after I passed him and note how quickly the crash team have swung into action. Note also the manned flag points which can be seen in any of my videos

#23 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

So at lakeside under AASA the most manned flag points I have seen at any race meeting is three, the start/finish line, exit of the Karasel and Hungry. The last time I raced a CAMS meeting at Lakeside there were manned flagged points, including trained firemarshals on point and mobile at the following locations:
Start/finish
Drivers right at Kink
Drivers Left at entry to karasel
drivers right at exit karasel
drivers left at bus stop
drivers right at bridge
drivers right at hungry
drivers left at eastern loop entry
drivers left at exit of turn onto straight.

The AASA meetings do well with the available resources, the crash team and medic team are great, I have unfortunately had to utilise their services on a couple of occaisions, however the CAMS flaggies. nor Queensland Fire and Rescue club are utilised at Lakeside or QR unless its the V8 meeting where V8 supercars lease the facilities from QR and run the show themselves to CAMS specs.

The CAMS official system is very well regulated and the licencing ensures that as you progress you have valuable skills. Personally I reached grade 2 as a fire marshall with endorsements for emergency vehicle driver, allowing me to be FIV driver at Indy, Medic car driver at Bathurst and senior pit lane marshal at the F1 GP's. As I have had my licence lapse, I have to start again if I get back into firemarshalling, which I probably will when I hang up the helmet.

This year's AASA race meetings have pretty much done away with all on track flaggies due to their in car radio system controlled from the tower at each track. All well and good, but at Lakeside the back of the karasel is blind from the tower and their have been quite a few incidents there. At QR there is no problem as you can see the whole track from the tower. This sytem may eventually filter down to sprint days, but I doubt it due to the number of radios needed and the protocols to use them, so limited numbers of flag points will continue to be manned when resources are available.

AASA provides an alternative to CAMS for the lower level events, but at state or National level, they aren't run as well as CAMS events, just ask most of the prod sports blokes who came up to QR last year for the one hour race and compare how that was run compared to the one hour at Warwick in 2011 under CAMS.

#24 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

Earlier in 2013
A race meeting at QR, full visibility from tower.
Flagpoints are lights only, controlled by tower
Sports car race, Lotus Exige has edge of track incident after turn 2 mid race.
Fire ensued.
By the time the clapped out jalopy, and the sitting in their little transportable shelter fire crew of three got to the burning to hell Lotus exige, it was totally destroyed.

Yes, very confidence inspiring.

Second incident, first hand experience Lakeside
Races for Historic Sports cars,
Mid race, rear of field incident, front of field shown Red flag at exit of Karrousel, then shown Green flag at Hungry, racing continued but drivers showing caution ( experienced CAMS licensed) a further lap completed, then double waved red at start, race stopped, leading three drivers were requested to attend tower,
Subsequently verbally berated for "continuing to race under full course Red"
When it was explained, that two of the three had onboard cameras, showing Green at Hungry, matter was dropped.

Thers your "flagging" your "fire marshals" at an AASA track that is run purely for profit as a business, with keeping procedural expenses to minimum.

260det, stop sprouting on about how great they are, go and actually race, at other circuits, with your top speed fith gear at PI ZX, and your berating of the "jig jog" morgan park.
Once you've got that under your belt, then look at the standards employed at the two aasa run joints in Qld.
Wakefield and Winton under aasa are far superior. So not aasa bashing!

#25 benny

benny

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

cams released update.... not in effect until jan 1st 2014 now

http://docs.cams.com...ive Padding.pdf

#26 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Facepalm.
Well spotted Benny!

Not even I understand fully what goes on behind CAMS closed doors!

There will for sure be some readon behind this!

Right, back to black pool noodle padding folks!

The wording in the bulletin is quite bad, a lot of date typo errors, just watch, it'll get changed,,,, again !!

#27 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

Pool noodle ? Luxury !

I was running 20 year old air con ducting insulation (all crumbly and half falling off) till I put the new wizz-bang rock-hard fireproof stuff in  ::)

#28 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

So the real evidence of my video is ignored, no surprise there :o OK, moving right along then, my experience at PI was that it was OK, there were a few things that could be criticised but I am not going to come into that. Morgan Park? Same. Can't see any point in criticising on a public forum, if something concerns you that much then take up directly with those concerned when it may do some good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users