Photo

Do many 240z or 260z come up cheap that are road worthy/registered?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 CooperJS

CooperJS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hey guys im just wondering if many datsun 240z or 260z come up cheap that are road worthy, around 5k? Im pretty keen to get one but is it possible to get one that is roadworthy at that price, i have seen 1 or 2 at that price which are registered or roadworthy but most others i seen are not or just need to be registered. It dosent bother me if they have rust or have a dent or something because i would expect that for around that price.

Cooper

#2 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Forget about a 240Z at that price; usually a 240Z at that price would need a fair bit of work to get upto a good standard. For $5k with a roadworthy, I would expect a 260Z 2+2 with an auto, sunroof with a "patch up" type body work done just to get it roadworthy, if you are lucky with someone desperate to sell.

I'd recommend to save some more pennies and get something with a photo history of bodywork done. Days of a cheap zed of any model are long gone....

#3 Jk_zeder

Jk_zeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Tagline:James

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Depends on how you define roadworthy?

They are getting quite rare but yeah it is definitely possible to get one where you don't care about how many holes are in it.

Didn't someone just nab a 260 Coupe for around 6k? Think he was from Brissy.

#4 77260Z

77260Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Yeah that was me that just picked up a 260 coupe for around 6k. Wasn't in the best condition body wise (there are a lot worse out there though!) and will need a little bit of work but it was registered. Just have to keep your eye out in all the usual places (ebay, carsales, gumtree, trading post, forums etc etc) and one might pop up.

For a rwc/registered Z you'll most likely be looking at a 2+2 as has been said

#5 CroS13

CroS13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Tagline:throbbing member

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

I doubt you will find a registered car for 5k, i had been looking everywhere, and for something that drives with rego, its usually from between 7-10k, and they are all 2+2's.

Mine cost me 8k with a blue slip/roadworthy, but no rego, i had to pay that too a week later, so all up mine set me back 9k, and no electrics or gauges work in it, has a long way to go before i can drive it properly on the road again.

If you do find one for that price, that has rego, my guess will be the body will be in a very very poor state.

Rudolf.

#6 CooperJS

CooperJS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yeah that was me that just picked up a 260 coupe for around 6k. Wasn't in the best condition body wise (there are a lot worse out there though!) and will need a little bit of work but it was registered. Just have to keep your eye out in all the usual places (ebay, carsales, gumtree, trading post, forums etc etc) and one might pop up.

For a rwc/registered Z you'll most likely be looking at a 2+2 as has been said

Yea i saw that one, iv noticed that there are a phew datsun's that go for around 6 - 9k. There was one datsun 260z 2+2 mat black that went for 4k and looked to be in pretty good condition, no rust spots from what i could see and there was another that sold for 6k in perth but the interior looked like there was going to be needing lots of work.

Ill keep my eye out hopefully something will show up around September, fingers crossed!

EDIT: Personally it wouldn't bother me if there was a hole or something because i really love metalworking and i could patch it up i also have got a metal lathe, welder, drill press and tools, it also helps that my dad used to be a mechanic and he could also help me :D

Cooper

#7 thriller

thriller

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

no rust spots from what i could see

Here is a rule of thumb for Z cars that I wish I knew when picking my first one.

Described as average bodywork with some rust = falling to bits
Described as OK bodywork, no rust = soon to fall to bits
Fresh respray and 'good' bodywork = already fallen to bits, paint and bog holding it together
Rattle can matte black = you dodged a bullet there...

If you can wait about 12 months you might find two or three that seem to be in very good condition for less than $8,000.

Bozo bought a black 260z and someone sold a silver 240z both for less than 7k this year (both looked very clean). But they both had buyers within hours so you have to jump on it as soon as you see it, even if it's 1500km away.

There's a bronze one in S.A. right now for 13k which, (from photos), looks like an OK buy. If you can afford 9k and just loan the other 4k, you'll pay the loan off faster and cheaper than you would restoring the average $10,000 2seater to roadworthy condish.

Whatever you do, before you get your heart set on one, post up here and try get a local member to come check it out with you & show you where the nasty spots are destined to be.

Enjoy the hunt, and be patient  ;)

#8 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Tagline:I'm Dave & Yes! I'm a real Revhead..er Reverend...

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

GREAT advice from Thriller...do yourself a favor and listen to it!  All the best with your search
Rev.

#9 CooperJS

CooperJS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Here is a rule of thumb for Z cars that I wish I knew when picking my first one.

Described as average bodywork with some rust = falling to bits
Described as OK bodywork, no rust = soon to fall to bits
Fresh respray and 'good' bodywork = already fallen to bits, paint and bog holding it together
Rattle can matte black = you dodged a bullet there...

If you can wait about 12 months you might find two or three that seem to be in very good condition for less than $8,000.

Bozo bought a black 260z and someone sold a silver 240z both for less than 7k this year (both looked very clean). But they both had buyers within hours so you have to jump on it as soon as you see it, even if it's 1500km away.

There's a bronze one in S.A. right now for 13k which, (from photos), looks like an OK buy. If you can afford 9k and just loan the other 4k, you'll pay the loan off faster and cheaper than you would restoring the average $10,000 2seater to roadworthy condish.

Whatever you do, before you get your heart set on one, post up here and try get a local member to come check it out with you & show you where the nasty spots are destined to be.

Enjoy the hunt, and be patient  ;)

Thanks Thriller that has helped me alot, ill look out for that and ill try and post cars if im not sure about em! :D
Ill try and stick to your rules haha

Saw this one and it looks to be in pretty good shape

http://www.gumtree.c...oupe/1006768922

Cooper

#10 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Cooper
[/quote]

Gidday

Pretty sure this one was on Ebay a few months back.

Cheers

PB

#11 CooperJS

CooperJS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

yea i have seen that one but i dont think i want to spend $12k on a first car haha :/

#12 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

You should find an ok 2+2 for 5k that needs a little work :)

#13 thriller

thriller

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

yea i have seen that one but i dont think i want to spend $12k on a first car haha :/

For a first car, I think getting a 2+2 should be on the cards for sure. Chicks will dig it just as much (at the end of the day that's all that counts right?).

That red one on gumtree doesn't seem too bad. Personally would keep shopping for a local one as there's lots less headaches and less money (need to have interstate cars inspected when you re-register them here). Seller doesn't seem too helpful with a 2 sentence ad either but hey.

#14 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hey guys im just wondering if many datsun 240z or 260z come up cheap that are road worthy

no.

/thread

#15 CooperJS

CooperJS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

For a first car, I think getting a 2+2 should be on the cards for sure. Chicks will dig it just as much (at the end of the day that's all that counts right?).

That red one on gumtree doesn't seem too bad. Personally would keep shopping for a local one as there's lots less headaches and less money (need to have interstate cars inspected when you re-register them here). Seller doesn't seem too helpful with a 2 sentence ad either but hey.

Hahahah for sure! Yea im trying to look around local, sooner or later something will pop up, i just like to have a look at ones at other states and what not haha :D Hope fully i get a job at coles and the new saint Clair and can start saving up!

You should find an ok 2+2 for 5k that needs a little work :)

Yeah hopefully! Fingers crossed

Cooper

#16 CroS13

CroS13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Tagline:throbbing member

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Thriller that has helped me alot, ill look out for that and ill try and post cars if im not sure about em! :D
Ill try and stick to your rules haha

Cooper

Yeah i went to see that when i was looking for mine.

It does have a L28 in it, But it has heavy orange peel in the paint, it needs a respray. Biggest problem is that its advertised as no sunroof, but it does have a sunroof, that has been closed and the gap sealed up with sikaflex, then painted over it. Rust bubbles in rear hatch. The quarter panel around fuel cap has alot of bog, and its bubbling up around that area again. There looks to be bog over the whole car, and at door corners and panel ends it has started chipping away.

Apart from that it has no rego but its running, If i recall he did have the Carbs rebuilt, brakes rebuilt, a whole bunch of mechanical stuff done.

Rudolf. 

#17 Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,12313.0.html
  • Tagline:Sports Cars

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Just buy a early 2000 falcon or commodore, pulsar,lancer,swift, astra. Once you destroy/thrash/pimp/smash  that and have 15k saved up than start looking for a z.

Best advice ever trust me unless your dad is a full mechanic, panel beater,spray painter greek/italian background and willing to give everything to you (like they normaly do around SA) than yes.

Good luck.

#18 CooperJS

CooperJS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Yeah i went to see that when i was looking for mine.

It does have a L28 in it, But it has heavy orange peel in the paint, it needs a respray. Biggest problem is that its advertised as no sunroof, but it does have a sunroof, that has been closed and the gap sealed up with sikaflex, then painted over it. Rust bubbles in rear hatch. The quarter panel around fuel cap has alot of bog, and its bubbling up around that area again. There looks to be bog over the whole car, and at door corners and panel ends it has started chipping away.

Apart from that it has no rego but its running, If i recall he did have the Carbs rebuilt, brakes rebuilt, a whole bunch of mechanical stuff done.

Rudolf.

Thanks Rudolf, does look very nice from the pictures, pitty about the sunroof though and all the bog and the paint haha

Just buy a early 2000 falcon or commodore, pulsar,lancer,swift, astra. Once you destroy/thrash/pimp/smash  that and have 15k saved up than start looking for a z.

Best advice ever trust me unless your dad is a full mechanic, panel beater,spray painter greek/italian background and willing to give everything to you (like they normaly do around SA) than yes.

Good luck.

Hahaha well dad is a full mechanic and has a Croatian background, does that count? Im sure he might no a spray painter a and possibly a panel beater haha
I was considering buying some old falcon or something but i would like to have a car that i love to drive around in, i think that would be awesome!

Cooper

#19 saxon

saxon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

you're looking at 10k+ for a half decent road worthy 2 seater

#20 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

you're looking at 10k+ for a half decent road worthy 2 seater

At least, & only half decent like he says so you'll have to spend lots more $$$ on it. Better you budget for 15k, for a nice tidy complete but not concours car. That's still a cheap classic, a Mustang fastback for example would cost you 3x that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users