7 replies to this topic

#1 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hey guys, will be down there on my annual pilgrimmage, who else will be going? Phillip Island is looking awesome with a fair few Can-Am cars coming out, my favorite! Datman good to see you on the entry list! Check out the entries for the sportscars, and just admire those engine capacities from a time when there were no rules on engines!

http://www.vhrr.com/...r-Challenge.pdf

Two Matra MS670s as well, one of the best sounding cars ever, and Mark Skaife driving his old HR31, should be awesome!

#2 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Sir Jack - Wish I could get down there. Make sure you get a photo of the Lola T70 Coupe, which along with the P4 Ferrari, are the only cars more alluring than the 250 GTO.

Also grab one of Alfie in the M10B. I was involved with that car via the previous owner before he died - bloody heart attacks, the curse of Baby Boomers!

Posted Image

And took a photo of it a Warwick Farm when Niel Allen first drove it.

Posted Image

#3 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Cheers Peter,

will try to get lots of pics including the ones you are after. Think the same owner now has two of the McLaren M10Bs that Neil Allen drove, one to be driven by Alfie, and I think the other is under restoration to be driven as well, good to see them back out on the track where they should be, a car that sits in a museum is not really a car!

They last brought out the Can-Am cars about 10 years ago, so this is really a treat for us in Aus as we don't get to see them that often. As much as I love the 250GTO, there is nothing like the brutality of a big block chev in an 800KG Can-Am car. Can't help but feel that racing will never be as good again, too many regulations stifling the cars. Some of the Can-Am cars are near/over 1hp/kilo, there is a race on you tube where they pull away from A McLaren F1 GTR under acceleration, and one of the McLarens in the states is putting out 1019HP, 250 more than a modern F1 car.

F5000 is also one of my favorites, so will check out the M10Bs, would love to drive one of those things one day.

Shame you can't make it, for me PI is as good if not better than Goodwood, and a look at this years entry list confirms that. Did you manage to clear out your garage, still keen to check out your zed and borrow some of your ideas on chassis reinforcement.

Cheers :)

#4 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Llynden Reithmuller owned both ex-Allen M10Bs - you can see the other tub in the photo I posted above and in the one attached. Alan Hamilton bought them both last year... he had raced one after Allen sold them - Kevin Bartlett raced the other.

Posted Image

Philip Island might be better than the Goodwood Festival of Speed but it's certainly not quite up to the Goodwood Revival.

The Can-Am cars might have more horsepower than F1s but their mechanical gearchange and weight would make them slower I suspect. They were fantastic at Monterey when I was there in 2011.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

VHRR/ event organisers, yet again, refused to accept entries from some genuine historic categories, ie those with TRUE Australian history, namely Group at and Group U.

The entry cost to competitors was higher again, in order to "entice" certain overseas cars, all in the interests of atteacting bigger crowds, at the expense of our own cars.

After having competed at this event, and even winning outright a number of the feature races, sadly, due to VHRR's actions in refusing my entry, i will no longer compete.

At least other Historic Car Clubs understand what genuine historic cars are.

Rant finished!

#6 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Tagline:Racing member.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

I wanted to do the regularity , but at $750.00 I gave it a miss, might go down for a look see, Mark Skaife driving the HR 31 in group A. Cheers.

#7 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Shame you can't make it Jason, I can understand your frustration! Spectator fees have also gone up again, and entry fees continue to skyrocket - I guess they figure they will charge what the market will bear, and if that means excluding those who put in a lot of hard work and effort on their cars themselves but do not earn mega dollars then that is what they are going to do - I would love to race in Sc but it is just getting too expensive, and as you said, they won't let you run your group T car - guess the Porsches don't like getting cleaned by a Datsun! ;D The net result of this is you now need a De Tomaso Pantera or some other mega dollar car if you want to win. At least I like the Pantera taking it to the Porsches, it seems more "of the people" with its mix of Italian design and Clevo block - and the engine is in the right place!

Rant finished ;D

#8 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

I'll be there with the NDSOC as part of a display along the straight. Should be nice this year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users