A Zed is Reborn - MaygZ Folly

MaygZ

Are they not assembled?

If you paint first, you williston likely chip it while putting it together.

Considered complete assembly, then mask off the cylinder/piston/seal? ???

Beeb,

that's what my plan was if the inside wasn't getting painted, but if the inside gets painted I was going to paint it up before I put the pistons back in.  I think I'll put it back together and then paint it.

Benny, if I had a serpent's funds, I'd do a serpent job  ;D  ::)

Thanks guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Giving the body (Zed's not mine) a break for a while.  Getting brakes together as seen in photo.

Thought I would post up a photo of a road sign that I found out near me.  Easily the most exciting road sign I've seen.  It didn't lie either.

While you are reading this, can someone please tell me from which model RX7 should I source pads for the 12+8 calipers?  I'm told that they only need a small mod to fit.  Can someone also measure the pad thickness, including backing plate for me?  I'm thinking of a mod for the calipers, but before I go down that path I want to make sure the pads and a 25mm disc will fit between the piston tops.

(Please don't start another thread on hilux calipers or which ones suit which etc - once I've finished this research and mod I will post up my findings)

post-1654-144023673144_thumb.jpg

post-1654-144023673155_thumb.jpg

Hey MaygZ,

I'll go looking through the shed and see if I can find the pads in a box I have lying around for these things. The mod is very simple: You need to weld in the holes in the pad and re-drill new ones to suit.

Note very hard or expensive. You can just drill new holes, but it's a better fix to weld up the old ones as well.

Hey MaygZ,

I'll go looking through the shed and see if I can find the pads in a box I have lying around for these things. The mod is very simple: You need to weld in the holes in the pad and re-drill new ones to suit.

Note very hard or expensive. You can just drill new holes, but it's a better fix to weld up the old ones as well.

I'm happy with what is required for the rears.  It's the front pads that I'm curious about.  If my plans work out then I will have found possibly the easiest fix for the front wet up.  If it works  ::)

Ok, well good thing Gareth came to the rescue cause it turns out I don't have any spare pads with part numbers.

I did get a pic tho of the pad installed in the caliper with the drilled holes. The pad comes with the central holes, you have to drill the outer holes. Get a machine chop to do it if you don't have a drill press.

20120427_103958.jpg

Thanks Guys.

What year/model is a EFD3S?  Never heard of that model, or is that the part number of the pad?

Whittie, while you've got them in your hands, could you please measure the pad thickness, including backing plate?  If they are new?

MaygZ

George,

If you have the part number, as supplied by G-man, couldn't any brake store be able to give you the thickness?

Justin,

That's not a part number.  It is a model number E-FD3S is an '86-99 RX-7.  The bendix number is DB-416.  Now try and get a brake parts dealer over the phone at 4:20 pm on a Friday to go to the shelf, unwrap a set and measure them (accurately) for you.  Go on try!  I dare you!

You are so young and naive.  Lucky you use Proactiv to keep your skin looking fresh and clear.  ;D

George

OK Bendix list the db416 as being:

107 x 46 x 14mm.  Doesn't say whether the 14mm is pad material only or total thickness.  I would guess that is only pad material but who knows?  Seriously, who knows?

Here's the comparison pic, the pads are virtually the same but the RX7 type come in many many brands/compounds. I was put onto this by GSL rallysport in QLD after I cooked their A1RM pads, Greg the guy up there was very helpful. IIRC the pads are the same as used in WRX's too.

The holes have to be redrilled otherwise in the stock location the pads will touch the disc hat/hub. I can't find the part numbers I had  ::) Sorry.

post-1489-144023673596_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I love you guys.  So supportive.

Postage was $39 from NT.

Brand new still in box.

Hope it fits.  Said in the ad 240/260/280Z.  So I'm sure it will fit or when we do Sirpent's run to the centre, I'll squirt up the road to Darwin and use it as a suppository on the seller!

• 2 weeks later...

Well work is under way on the brakes.  Cleaning brakes sux.  I spend nearly 2 hours wire brushing these R31 calipers and was getting nowhere fast.  So I put my short arms into my deep pockets and went and bought a sand-blasting cabinet.

The first photo is after 2 hours; the 2nd is after about 15 minutes of sand blasting.

I got the cabinet from Supercheap and they have a sale on this w/end (I think) and the garnet I got from BJ Bearings.  Very happy with both.  Dare I say it was a BLAST!!  I crack myself up sometimes.  I'm so witty!

post-1654-144023676168_thumb.jpg

post-1654-144023676212_thumb.jpg

By the way, the clutch arrived.  It cost the fellow $43 to post it down.  So it cost the fellow $3 to sell it to me :-(

Still a way off fitting it though.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since an update.

The front and rear brakes are just about finished, but before they get fitted to anything the struts need to be done.

I've started with the fronts.  Pretty easy going until I came to the gland nut!  That was a sharp thing to get out and in the end took the struts down to the local Nissan dealer.  They looked at the struts and couldn't even imagine what sort of Nissan they were from - and some of the mechanics were older than me!

Anyway, these things take two people to get out - unless you have the special tool and we all know no-one does!  So once they were off, the struts got a good clean up and blast.

I will be getting Ben's (Otomoto) coilovers and I will be sectioning the struts to maintain some suspension travel.  I am looking for shocker inserts that will fit in the 240 (51mm) struts that can effectively rebound a 6kg/mm spring.  Obviously I want to get them before I section the struts.  Anyone got any laying about?  ::)

MaygZ

post-1654-144023685653_thumb.jpg

post-1654-144023686092_thumb.jpg

post-1654-144023686104_thumb.jpg

The Toyota MR2 rear strut insert is a good and well documented option for sectioned 240Z/early 260Z front struts.  That's what I am using with Tokico Illuminas on my fronts and on the number 1 setting with King Springs.  If you dialed it higher I am certain it will control a stiffer spring like a 6kg/mm spring.  Otherwise does BenZed still do the complete system with the shock included?

Is that MR2 rears for the front and rear of the Zed?  ie 4 x rears?  or do the rears take a different insert?

While I'm asking Q's, the bump stop that sits inside the spring at the top; where can I source these and what is the preferred material?

Z31 300ZX is the shorter insert that is used front & rear on early Zedd. It's about 25mm shorter.

If you get new Koni's they (normally) supply you with a set of their progressive rate bump stops as well.