One of Six_Shooter's Time Vampire and Money Pits. v.240

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Will that front caliper bracket cope with just those four M6  and one caliper bolt?

What color will you go with for the body? I love the factory blue on the left fender  8)

Had that blue on my first 260Z; everyone was asking why did I choose that colour... coz you don't see it often enough!

The air intake was very well done. gives me an idea.

Thanks. :D

Cant see those pics at work due to the security setting  ::)

Well then, go home. :P ;)

The intake looks very well done. What color will you go with for the body? I love the factory blue on the left fender  8)

While I also like that blue, I am shooting for a wild green, some might say a candy green, but that will be a few years off. I have other things to build first. Like a new chassis. The work I'm doing now will all be removed at some point in the (I hope not too distant) future, for a different suspension/chassis/engine I have planned. I think I'm going to grab a spray bomb of brown soon, just to get the entire car into a single colour, even if it does only look good from 20 paces. lol

That front spoiler and bar combo is not very common over here.  It looks pretty slick as it replaces the bumper.

Yeah I like it, though I think I'm going to either modify that one or make a new one that is somewhere between that one and what the car originally had, kinda "updated old school."

Will that front caliper bracket cope with just those four M6  and one caliper bolt?

I've been driving it that way for over a week, checked everything on the hoist tonight and still all there, and tight. The center bore of the bracket is a snug fit to the spindle, so it's really getting support from there. The 4 M6 bolts, while they will add some anti-rotational benefits, it's really the old caliper mounting bolt that is doing most of that work. FWIW, I have had one seriously hard stop from 101 MPH since I did this brake swap. ;) Though I did only go down to about 40 MPH, not a complete stop, but I think it will be fine. ;) I too had my reservations though, and if it does become an issue, I can easily drill out the bolt holes in the strut to 8mm. I know the 4 8mm bolts would be enough on their own, comparing to some other known braking systems, like many drum brake set-ups. It was because of that drum brake comparison and the left over old caliper bolt that I went ahead with this, feeling pretty confident that it will be reliable.

Mine was originally that colour... From what I can work out.

Any possibility of a few more engine bay piccies? It looks fairly tidy so I'm curious

The brown or the blue.... or rust? lol

I don't have a whole lot of engine bay shots, though I should take some new ones. Any particular angle/area you'd like to see?

I know people tell me that it's "clean" and "tidy" it's a mess to me. lol

Im not a fan of the wheels but. they look too much like VL wheels or ford XD wheels. needs more dish. too 80's

I agree, but it's what I have right now. I guess they should look "too '80s," they are from a '86 300ZX. lol :)

I plan on having some wheels with dish eventually, but these will have to do for now.

Hell must be a bit chilly this evening...

I started to do some body work on the 240Z....

Well, even what I did would still be considered more on the modification side than repair....

I filled the antenna hole and filled the driver side 1/4 vent hole. I didn't have to time to do the passenger side yet, either I'll head back later and do it, or do it tomorrow night.

215030_10150740316480051_651865050_20052433_4019525_n.jpg

185463_10150740316365051_651865050_20052431_2142339_n.jpg

215057_10150740316775051_651865050_20052437_522745_n.jpg

229660_10150740316645051_651865050_20052434_229139_n.jpg

Should look nice and smooth later.

Like the wood grain like finish on the upper part of the 1/4's also, but I thought the Yanks were the only ones into "Woodies" or wood panels on their cars? LOL

Im just kidding Mate.

• Moderators

Should look nice and smooth later.

Like the wood grain like finish on the upper part of the 1/4's also, but I thought the Yanks were the only ones into "Woodies" or wood panels on their cars? LOL

Im just kidding Mate.

Reminds me of those old 60's wooden all in one stereos you used to see; mainly on nature strips..

I deleted my antenna hole in my zed but undid it later on... just stuck a grommet in it! looked a bit wierd.

If you're talking about that shiney area on the upper 1/4 where the vents were, that's not a fax wood look, that's what happens when glue is laid on and left for years, to hold a landau top (vinyl top).  ::)

This car will NOT be getting another one. lol

I did more body work last night, filled in the right side vent hole.

I also got some parts for it this morning. :D

Like the stance, maybe if it was an inch lower in the front just to give the body line a more nose down stance.

The wheel kind of grow on you and dont look half bad, a bit mor dish would have given them a totally better look, but overall, not bad  ;)

What are the rim tyre sizes out of interest?

Cheers

John

Yeah, the more you look at the wheels the better they look. lol

I'm still going to be changing them in the end, and there WILL be a LOT more dish/lip. ;)

The wheels are 16x7. 225/50/R16 tires.

I like the level stance. The front end always looked a bit higher with the stock springs, it looks much better now. :)

Maybe they will settle a little lower. They have only been on there a little over 24 hours now, about 20 when the after pictures were taken.

Impressive build thread Six Shooter, your obviously pretty handy with a spanner.

What sort of times are you runnning before and after the turbo/injection install?

Keep up with the inspiring posts.

Cheers

Mick

Thanks Cozza.

I try to be handy. lol

My Grandfather and my Uncle were heavily into cars as I was growing up, and learned a lot from them.

I was reminded that when the car was N/A I had 18 second or so 1/4 E.T.s A month or so after I got the turbo and injection installed, running on a rough tune at 7 PSI, with the dizzy injection I ran a very traction limited 14.7 second E.T. In this pass I had a 60' time of 3.0 seconds though. There is really no reason why I shouldn't be able to, with some work, get a 2.0 second 60' times, heck I've had FWD cars get 2.07-ish 60' times. So if the math is correct and it is pretty close from what I've seen on my own previous vehicles at the track, that 1 tenth in short times is equal to 2 tenths in the 1/4, then I should be able to get a 12.7 out of it, but I'll have to wait and see when I get back to the track later this year.

My power has improved by through the change to DIS, better tune and increasing the boost pressure to 12 PSIG, so I hope to hit that 12 second E.T.

Still need to get some better traction though. lol

My goal for the car is not so much drag racing, but I want to get into some competitive road course/time attack, which I hope to start next year.

• 4 weeks later...

I figured I'd post up a couple pics of some paint work I did to the car a couple weeks ago. It's just some rattle can paint work, but I think it looks much better than it did.

294535_10150783264925051_651865050_20572719_485151_n.jpg

298013_10150783265125051_651865050_20572720_2046690_n.jpg

The plan right now is Drag on the 9th, then I just got a pass for some lapping on the 11th. Next weekend is going to be busy. lol

I don't think I've mentioned it, but I had a boost problem. It seems I probably had this problem longer than I realized.

I noticed it earlier this year, when I tried to turn up the boost from 12 PSIG to 15 PSIG, that it stayed at 12 PSIG.  ???

Checked a few things over, eventually wired my wastegate closed with some mechanics wire, but the problem still persisted. I knew the mechanics wire wasn't keeping it sealed, but it seemed to hold it almost closed, enough that I figured it would allow boost to build higher than 12 PSIG at high RPM.  I had been considering that my couplings between the turbo and TB might be leaking, or the IC was leaking from somewhere, thinking that maybe the turbo really was too big, but then it should have spooled to the 5 PSIG even later. mad.gif

Apparently, it wouldn't and after installing a heavy spring on the wastegate tonight, I pulled out of the driveway at work, then hit the gas in a slightly spirited fashion, I happened to be looking in the direction of my boost gauge, when I saw it spring around to about 12 PSIG and my shift light came on!!  confused2.gif It never did that, it just kinda slowly climbed up to that point, and it took a fair amount of time to get the shift light on, even in first gear, this was almost instant. Woo-HA! So I drove around a bit and checked to make sure that was actually the case.

Let me tell you 15 PSIG of boost on this 2.8L is a phenomenally fun. THIS was the reason I put the turbo on this car. I was seriously considering my planned engine swap for this winter, even though I didn't really have time for it. I've just been disappointed with the performance of it recently. It was still decently quick, just not that hard hitting surge of power I've been trying to get.

Now... OMG, so much fun, hard hitting, slam you into the seat, everything goes to a blur fun...  rock%20on.gif

Well, went to the drag strip tonight. I have a better time than last time out, just not quite as quick as I would have liked to see.

Best pass was a 13.741 @ just over 105 MPH. I had a few passes over 106 MPH as well.

I've finally broke into the 3 digit MPH. My truck when it was together with a 3.2L V6 turbo and poorly "tuned" if it can even be called that would run 99.9, 99.8, 99.7, 99.8, 99.8 MPH, but never actually break into the 100 MPH range.  :-\ The Datsun last time out had a best MPH of 98.something, again just shy of breaking 100 MPH. Tonight I did it though. :D

It needs a littel work, it was breaking up at the top of the gear like I've seen for a while now, but just couldn't really tune that on the street, since I would be breaking the highway speed limit before getting through second gear.  :-\ I added more timing, since I know my timing is conservative and it pulled harder through the gears, but still breaking up a little. I think I will also benefit from a taller gear. I short shifted one pass, ran a slower time because of it, but I think it was my best MPH of the night, but I'll have to go through my slips to see. Good thing I have a set of 3.54s to go in it. ;)

when i was a drag man i ran a 3.7 with the manual and it pulled hard through the traps in 4Th at 125mph and when i fitted the 3speed auto it ran 9.9 139mph ,, the problem is if you go to 3.4 diff is you go slower because the 60foot time is to slow

you need a engine that pulls all the way to 8000rpm

Hey Buddy

I have to say, that even though you are half a world away from the members on this forum we all appreciate you.

Yes the mono tone of the paint packs you used has helped a lot, just brings it all together somewhat.

I'm not big into brown shades but always liked Fords Nutmeg which is similar to a current color used by BMW, and when I saw your update pics I thought yeah would look great in those shades.

Keep it up, after all you are our pseudo forum rep of the Canadan chapter.

Cheers

John

Peter, 3.9 is just too much gear for the turbo engine, it loved the 3.54 R180 when I had it in there, the problem has always been traction off the line, not the top end charge, but the top end charge will get ever better with the taller gear that turbo engines like.

Revving it to 8000 RPM, won't help me, I'd rather shift lower, keeping it in the grunt of the torque, than wind out putting more stress on parts. Besides that means I would need an even steeper gear to be able to pull through 4th revving it to 8000. Probably only go through 3 gears going for 8000 RPM. The car just likes the taller gear and has a great top end charge, when in 4th and 5th, like most turbo cars do.

I'm also going to do the S14 hybrid tranny swap, and I believe the 1st and 2nd gears are a bit lower in that tranny.

Sirpent, thanks for the kind words. I too am not a fan of brown, but it was the colour the car was when I bought it, so for now, I'll stick with it until I do the big tear down and re-build. ;) I definitely will not be brown in the end.

In other news, I broke the tranny on the way out to load it in a friends trailer to go to the road course tomorrow. I knew it was going to happen at some point, I was just hoping it would have been after tomorrow. :(

i think you don't understand what i mean you need a engine that will rev and make power all the way. you go faster at the drags if you get off the line fast you need lots of tracksion and have a turbo that make power later than 4000rpm this will bring the top mph up, it wont be fun to drive on the street as it will be a lag monster but at the drags it will be fast, the standard turbo motor will not top end very well so it wont rev so short sifting will make it faster,, if you change at 5000 it will feel fast and will top out at 110mph

Peter, I understand exactly what you're saying.

I've seen far too many people follow that idea that they have to rev to the moon to be fast drag racing, when a guy that only revs to 5500 beats them every time, because he built a whole package, not just looked at one area. Revving just wastes time, and gets most engines beyond their torque peaks.

I've been around drag racing for many years, I've seen many ideas come and go.

I understand the relation between traction and ETs. I need more power off the line right now to get my ET where I want it. I should have just tried launching at 3000+ RPM last night, and let the tranny break, since it decided to let go today... I was getting some bogging off the line that hurt my short times and my big end overall. On my 3 good runs (out of 5), the difference in overall ET was seen in the short times. I was trying to save the tranny, since I have a lapping day tomorrow that I won't be running with the 240 now. Oh well.

In the end this is not to be used as a 1/4 mile monster, I want something that I will enjoy driving on the street, not something that I won't want to drive, except when drag racing. If I wanted a drag car, I wouldn't have bought a 240Z. ;) That's not to say that I don't want it to perform well on the standing 1/4 mile, just not the main use for my car.