Japan Datsun Nissan Dealer Options on new cars when first sold HELP WANTED

dat2kman

Or for that matter anywhere in the World, where the 240/260/280 Zeds were first sold as a new car.

I am after good quality clear to see and read copies/scans of ANY, and I mean ANY brochures, sheets, lists, details on what any Nissan/Dasun dealer,

( Japan/USA/ UK/ Europe/ Australia etc)  was able to supply and did supply, as optional sports parts on any of the Z models, specifically, Rims, Brakes, Discs, flares, Tyres ( sizes).

Yes, I have all homologation papers for the Zeds, and lists of optional sports parts that Datsun was able to supply, for all the Datsun models, BUT, what I am chasing is actual lists of parts that you could option a Zed with when it was sold new.

I dont want mirrors, carpets, bootmats, mudflaps, tint, and Ming rust protection, but meaningfull performance stuff that could be, and was fitted, to a NEW car.

I have been told that in Japan market Datsun fitted some Zeds with some "option"parts that were then sold as new cars to the Japanese Police Departments, this sort of stuff???

Why?

So I/we can go to CAMS Australia and get the permission to upgrade the narrow rims and brake discs, and stock calipers so I/We can be on par with the Porsche 2.7 and 3.0 911 Carrera's in the Historic production Sp[orts Car Group S races as held in Australia.

There are seven or so of us that are in need od better brakes and tyres, We have to PROVE that these parts were fitted as Dealer Options when sold new. ATM the stock items are barely adequate!

Any and all help much appreciated.

Links to sites, or pass the above message on to whomever, etc etc

Thanks, Zedders of the World !!!

Its interesting to read this, because i watched the last Tasman revival and the difference in performance between the 2 seemed huge.

It would be great to see the Zeds more competative with the 2.7 and the 3.0, good to see you guys are trying so hard!

Yes Alan would be best to answer this.

I would have thought that all parts listed in the sports option list/catalogue were available over the counter and therefore installable by the dealer in the day - surely that is good enough? It does not mean that dealers installed the items but could have if the customer was aware of the options and requested them.

Therefore the Sports Option Catalogue should be more than enough evidence + most of these parts are listed in the FIA docs that you have too - What is CAMS playing at?

Yes Alan would be best to answer this.

I would have thought that all parts listed in the sports option list/catalogue were available over the counter and therefore installable by the dealer in the day - surely that is good enough? It does not mean that dealers installed the items but could have if the customer was aware of the options and requested them.

Therefore the Sports Option Catalogue should be more than enough evidence + most of these parts are listed in the FIA docs that you have too - What is CAMS playing at?

Apparently parts like wheels need to be fitted as standard equipment, not optional.

Input so far is good, however, I do need some sort of evidence, on a Datsun Dealers official paperwork ie; an invoice/quote/sales sheet, etc, that a 240. 260 or 280Z was able to be BOUGHT NEW, with things like, Sumitomo MK63 front calipers and vented rotors,  disc brake rear setup, and wider rims, and Mikuni triples, and ZG nose, and fender extensions. That is all we need!

Maybe someone somewhere has some old dealer sales sheets or letterheads???

Yes these parts all have Nissan genuine official parts numbers, and were very easily able to bought over the counter at any Datsun Spare Parts section, BUT, we have to show that these were fitted to a NEW car prior to delivery by an official Datsun dealer.

I have heard that the Japanese Police Dept were "SOLD" new 240 zeds with some items fitted by Nissan or its dealers, anyone heard anything or more to the pont can prove with documentation.

Does anyone have any documentation at all that may be of some usefulness???

CAMS Australia, will be governed by the recomendation from the Historic Elegibility Commission as to whether to allow such items to be able to be fitted. I just have to prove to the HEC, that they were in fact fitted, and bingo!

Luvemfast, A twincam head would have them screaming out "NO WAY"

It really wasnt sold new like that, or was it?

Was it a dealer fitted option on a new car? The HEC and CAMS rules bsically state that "competion variants" are not allowed, the twinkie head is deemed a "competion variant"

Benji,  that wheel info I have, it is good 'cos it does show genuine Nissan Part Numbers, and, I already have a full set of these original factory wheels, that I run on my Datsun Sports 2000 in some events.

If I can show that certain items such as vented brakes, 4 piston calipers, rear discs and calipers and wider rims were able to be fitted by a dealer, and, 

(these items would not have upset the EPA/Pollution Emmissions guys, like triple Mikuni's would have, )  then I have a chance to get them approved.

My Group Sc 280 injected has almost enough oomph, ie I can stay alongside the 911 Posches and the 351 cubic inch De Tomaso Pantera, but I run out of brakes, and do not have rim width, these guys have massive rims, and massive ventilated brakes fitted as standard, or as optional by their dealers, I just need to prove a Datsun Dealer SOMWHERE in the WORLD fitted big brakes and big rims to the Zeds, especially the late USA 280z injected model!

Ie some obscure USA or Canadian dealer that was motorsports orientated/enthusiast, and supplied new cars with these items, and had Dealer paperwork/letterheads showing this, or something like this, with part numbers and prices as a total for a new car.

Something like, "Hello San-Francisco Bay Area Datsun Dealer, I'm Clint Eastwood, and I wanna buy me a Zee car with big brakes and big wheels, man, but, I dont wanna upset the EPA boys, with big carbies, well, I feel lucky punk, git me a Zee car"

Thanks,

please keep info/suggestions coming.

I have an original (in good condition) early USA '70's Datsun/Nissan competition parts catalogue for all models (510, Z, etc) that lists all competition parts available direct from Nissan. I can scan it in colour and email to you if the other responses aren't of help. Please send me a PM with private email address and I will try to send ASAP.

Luvemfast, A twincam head would have them screaming out "NO WAY"

It really wasnt sold new like that, or was it?

Just thinking of the 432, thats all.

4 Valve per cylinder

3 Carbies

2 Cams

But you're really after brakes and rims by the look of it.

How far does the family tree allow you to go?

Ok what about the Nissan Works cars - were they not build by the Nissan Factory then had all the sports options fitted by a dealer/team and then used in the rallies - that info is well documented surely that is enough?

• Moderators

Just find an old dealership letter head and type on the letter " Dear Sir, Your 240Z that you have ordered with the 6 pot 330mm front disc brakes and 4 pot rear disc setup and that rather large turbo we had specially flown in from Japan and 17" x 8 wheels with flares have been fitted and your car is ready for pickup" A little bit of work on Photoshop to make it look old and you're done!

Oh Gee Whiz, that would be naughty!

It doesn't need to be in Japanese but in English, it was SOLD from a USA Dealership!

The letter/sales delivery docket had the car listed, then the dealer listed the part numbers and fitted them as options on the new car.

The options and part numbers are those listed in the Options Parts Catalogue, under brakes front and rear, rims front and rear, fender flares front and rear.

I am so very sure that someone somewhere will have very old documentation that will heve this sort of stuff on it, because,  there are the similar documentations for old British and German sports cars WITH THE SAME BLOODY STUFF ON THEM ( Carbies, brakes and rims)

Now does anyone have any old USA dealership printed material?

Hey Dat2K,

Been doing some searching around this morning found this if you can read Japanese it may have some info on brakes, Interesting the the z432R is heavier then the other zed models in 1969!!

Ben

post-432-144023571506_thumb.jpg

Interesting the the z432R is heavier then the other zed models in 1969!!

Not true - a Z432 yes but a Z432R no. You will notice there is only a pic of the Z432-R on that broacher but no specs :( and given the S20 engine is some 30+KG heavier this explains the difference

found these also!!

does anyone have a copy of the sport option part for s30?? ive got 1 page (dont know if it helps)

also found some documentation on what the 1975 lemans datsun 240z was running (in french) but you can see the wheels are 10x15 and 13x15 may help!!

here is the link to the lemans stuff:

http://www.autodiva.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=312

Ben :D

post-432-144023571523_thumb.jpg

post-432-144023571529_thumb.jpg

I've also had a quick look through the Brooklands Books Datsun 240 - 260Z Gold Portfolio book that has a copy of all the world motoring press 240/260Z reviews. I could not see any options for wider wheels listed in any of the articles. In particular there is an article on page 54 on a project 240Z being fully factory optioned and no factory optional rims were fitted only after market mags.

PM sent as requested.