Pertronix Ignitor Kit

fomoco_44

Hi All,

Just wondering of the Pertronix kit will work with the later model 260z dizzy?.

The kit says its suitable for 240z 71-73, not sure if the 260z dizzy is the same.

I'm asking because I'm having a lot of trouble sourcing a 280zx dizzy up here in Sydney. I've seen one or two on feebay, but they were asking silly money for them compared to a Pertronix kit.

I've acutally bought in two electronic dizzy from the states via ebay:

1. E12-80 type-Had a broken plastic ball retainer on the spindle for the advance. Managed to fix it but can't seem to get it to fit to the cam drive, almost like the slot in the end of the dizzy drive is too small.

2. The second one looks like its an older model. Hasn't got the ignition module on the side, has 3 wires coming out of it and has two electroic pick-ups inside. Priced a module from the states and it was more than a later model dizzy! >:(

Just found out my Dad has a Crane Cams XR700\3000 conversion kit handy, looks like its the right part number too. Has anyone had experience with this type before?

He was keeping it for his Cortina, but I'm thinking of buying it off him.

I have used the xr700 before going to a crane msd, worked like a charm. The only thing I upgraded after a period of time was the shutter wheel (made my own).

The difference between the XR700 and XR3000 is that the XR700 runs with the ballast resistor. Running the XR3000 (this is the same for the crane msd) you might have tacho issues, I overcame this issue by ripping the guts out of my tacho and replacing with an after market while retaining the needle and faceplate of my original.

I hope this helps.

Michael

• 2 years later...

hey guys,

i just bought a pertronix ignitor and tried to install it.. it all seems to go in fine but i cant seem to get the magnet onto the shaft...

has anyone installed one of these??

post-3829-144023672323_thumb.jpg

post-3829-144023672327_thumb.jpg

I have used the xr700 before going to a crane msd, worked like a charm. The only thing I upgraded after a period of time was the shutter wheel (made my own).

The difference between the XR700 and XR3000 is that the XR700 runs with the ballast resistor. Running the XR3000 (this is the same for the crane msd) you might have tacho issues, I overcame this issue by ripping the guts out of my tacho and replacing with an after market while retaining the needle and faceplate of my original.

I hope this helps.

Michael

I have a Crane XR3000 that worked in the parts car [74] but won't work in my car[75] Only difference is the 74 had no ballast resistor but 75 has. Any other ideas apart from replacing tacho. ???

Im not too sure which distributor is in my car, but it is a single point so apparently this kit should fit.

but the magnet is way too small to fit over the the distributor shaft so i had to grind the top of the shaft down a fair bit to make it fit.

so it can be done, its just a bit more time consuming.

here is a couple of pics of what was grinded off

hope this helps anyone else doing the swap

post-3829-144023672505_thumb.jpg

post-3829-14402367251_thumb.jpg