Sirpent "Z"

Ummmmmmmm Yeah

Did some quick measurements, this FUGGER is pretty wide, space between the towers is 800 mm, width of the engine is 700mm, so 5cm's to spare either side!

Luckily the headers dump straight down, so the pipes will sit within the widest breast of the motor.

On the length, its 650mm, and I have to mount it forward as the supercharger draws air in from the back of the motor, so the harmonic balancer will  sit probably about 50mm over the front of the cross member.

All just speculation at this stage, but Im 100% sure of the width as I measured it about 20 times.

Cheers

John

Just to explain Ben

If you look at the pic of the motor, there are the 2 Alluminium plenums with the AMG logo's, these suck air in from the rear and then dump the air either side of the supercharger, one screw each bank hence a twin screw charger, the air is then forced through an intercooler located below them, this is externally cooled via water exchange pumped from the front heat exchange, you can see the feed pipe and return pipes at the top front of the motor.

The air passes through the intercooler and is then pumped directly back to the rear where there is a 80mm odd pipe than swings down and into an internal plenum that feeds the valves.

That dump pipe has a large radius as it curves down some 6 inches and I will have to leave at least 50mm between it and the firewall.

Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeew !

Thing of beauty......now the work can begin :-)

Gawd that's a Sexy bit of kit. Ahh together at last (well at least in the same country)

Thanks guys

So its been a few hours since it arrived.

Have you installed it yet?

What does it sound like?

I bet that blower sounds horn!!

Well done.

Ohhhhh how I wish !

Adam

Feel like a goose doing this but you asked

Standard 265 kW / 355 Hp & 450 Nm torque in the Zed 273Hp to the Ton

Motec M600 + Larger intercooler + Charger pulley upgrade + Peter Mc Magic probably 300 kW / 402 Hp and ????? Nm Torque or 309 Hp to the Ton

Time will tell.

Wooooooohooooo!!!

Congrats on the delivery John. Bet you ripped the top off the box pretty damn quickly, was the lid off before the tailgate loader hit the deck?

Tight for width but sounds doable....photos of sump and other vitals ASAP!

May possibly be able to pay you a visit on Sunday but wont be for long as I will have child in tow.

No problems David

Drop me a PM and we can arrange...........

As Im still waiting for my Police check to come back so I can start work, yes its taken 4 days and Im not officially allowed to start work till Im cleared, the plan is to release the motor from the Galv strapping holding it in place to the box tomorrow ( Icant wait to play in the box, just kidding)

Then get it mounted on the engine stand and do some measurements to see where it will sit in the bay and also see if the deck height clears the bonnet, pretty sure it will.

Will take lots of pics for you, I believe that it has a dual sump  :o

I will probably knock the bell housings off the Benz and T56 boxes and start some cad work on the adaptor also, I think the first thing that needs doing is to mate the Motor and box together, after that it will be chassis time.

The new fuel tank will be ready in the next few weeks, just holding off till I start work and get some pennies in the bank, Stephen the fabricator looks the goods, went to see him on Monday and the tank (Bare no pump or inductive sender) with all fittings and pipes will be $470.00

At last I will have something more than mowing the lawn to look forward to on Saturday's from here on in.

Iam happy to see that got it and it not siting off the Northen coast of NZ :o

I guess it was lucky it came into the port of Auckland not the busiest port of Tauranga which currently has issues do the ship that hit a reef and is about to split into 2 any day now dumping its tons and tons of oil into the port/beaches etc  :'(

Yep,

The thought did cross my mind a few times when I watched the news update, sad to see it happen but glad it wasnt me.

Loui, well I have made a start, ripped into the box this morning and did some more measuring and mock up alignments and all looks good, should have plenty of clearance to the bonnet also.

The Bell housings will be a bit tricky but from what I have been able to work out, I will have to cut the rear of the T56 housing away then splice it onto the Benz housing and have it welded with re-enforcements inside and out.

This will require a jig with a central shaft to align the 2 sections, I will bolt the sections to plates, one plate will have a central shaft welded to it exact center, the other plate on the other section will also be bolted and will have a centrally drilled hole, this way I can align the centers of each and vary the distance between so as to square it all up.

I have to get all this done first before I can even contemplate the chassis as I need the motor and box hooked up to get all the alignments and mounts correct.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023646614_thumb.jpg

post-1356-144023646621_thumb.jpg

post-1356-144023646628_thumb.jpg

post-1356-144023646634_thumb.jpg

Good observation,

Yes the T56 has a 26 spline, but obviously it's cluch kit is to large for the Benz.

So I will need a flywheel made up to suit the Benz ring gear, and luckily a EVO4 clutch is perfect for the Benz flywheel size and is a 26 spline set up with the same in dimensions to the T56 shaft.

So that's the plan, good in theory.

Sump looks good, shouldn't present any issues.

Assume the crankshaft as a recess to accommodate a spigot bearing, may pay to take some measurements of that and the nose of the T56 to you local bearing shop.

Rather than cut n shut bellhousings wouldn't it be easier to make a mild steel adapter plate either on the block to T56 bellhousing interface or bolt the T56 to the back of the Benz bellhousing using a mild steel adapter? That's assuming shaft lengths are doable of course

If you go with a mild steel adapter plate on the block to T56 bellhousing interface it will the Benz auto unmolested and you should be able to get a good quid for it?

Hmmmmmmmmm couple of problems with that David which you may pick up in the photo's when you take a 2nd look.

First the T56 bell is was to large at the face and part of it already breaches the rear feed tubes, second the Benz uses a partially internal starter and you just wouldn't be able to mod this nor adapt something for the T56 bell, so the only way forward is to use the Benz bell housing.

Whats good here is that the Benz bell tapers inwards to the box interface and the T56 is wider and has bolts holding it to the box running backwards into the bell from the box side.

Because of this cutting the T56 bell rear will create an over sized plate and also allow for comfortable welding and then the addition of re-enforcement gussets.

If there was another way I would do it but both bells will have to be partially sacrificed.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor Update

OK, finally got around to doing some house keeping around the car and also started evaluating the engine box configuration, I must say that I was a bit worried but was pleasantly surprised once I got stuck into it all.

Have attached some pics below.

Engine : Have decided I am going to have the motor totally dry ice blasted, having inspected all the seals I couldn't find a single leak of any sort, not even tell tell staining of the alloy left even after a decent steam cleaning, so all good in this department, however the alloy is starting to whiten off with what I think may be salt rather than moisture oxidisation, so I partially stripped away the coil packs some of the tensioner pulleys harmonic balance etc so as to give the process better penetration.

I also dropped out each of the "12" plugs, to have a look at the state of the electrodes, all good, no oil deposits, nice and dry, black carbonised in color.

After doing some research I came across this link and then tracked down a guy in metro Melbourne who can come and do it for me, a hell of a lot easier than trying to get into every last nook and cranny mechanically, I will do a vid of the process when its being done for those that may find it of interest.

Transmission : OK this was the fun part, I stripped off the T56 bellhousing, the Benz bell Housing, The torque converter from the engine, and mounted the motor onto an engine stand.

After the strip down of the 2 trannies, I took the metal gasket which lived between the Benz Box and bell housing  and lined it up to the front face of the now bare T56 box (Minus its bell housing) luckily the input shaft main bearing in the box is almost exactly the same as the input shaft hole on the metal Benz gasket, so I think I was able to align the plate to the box within a fraction of a millimeter.

The reason for doing this is because I will be using the Benz housing and needed to see how the outer parameter of the Benz housing would sit in alignment with the T56, good news is that the T56 housing bell mount holes are all outside of the Benz parameter, this means that once I have a plate manufactured which will be welded to the Benz bell, there wont be any issues bolting it up to the T56 and using all the original mount points.

The rear of the Benz housing will have the equivalent of the plates thickness machined off (probably 1/2 inch or 12.5mm) the plate will then replace that section and then the Benz bell will be welded onto this plate which will be in the shape of the T56 face, the depth of the T56 bell is 140mm while the Benz is 145mm so the new hybrid bell will be 140mm as was the original T56 bell housing.

The green dots in one of the pics represent the T56 Bolt points, while the red ones represent the alignment dowles.

So overall a productive day of discovery and good luck.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023647935_thumb.jpg

post-1356-144023647943_thumb.jpg

post-1356-14402364795_thumb.jpg

post-1356-144023647959_thumb.jpg