Sirpent "Z"

19th April 2009

Ok, next Sunday the car would have been sitting in the same place, 5767 days without having moved an inch.

So you all know the story from the intro I posted, and now the long dance begins, this morning I went to the garage where the "Z" has been stored for the past 16 years and took some pics on my mobile phone, not the best but will give everyone and idea about it's condition in general (Have posted them in the gallery section for now until I can figure out how to attach them to a post).

Included is a pic of the L20 injected turbo motor in it, its going on Ebay today, looks like I have tracked down a rotisserie and some 45DCOE Webers for it also.

Next weekend I'll have it towed home to a cleaned out garage at my place and the strip down begins.

I will add pics as the process continues.

Hopefully I will also track down pics from its pre-storage days which Im turning the house upside down to find ATM.

Stay tuned.

The dreaded L20TE motor, I say that because I stupidly sold my triple 45DCOE set up and now Im bleeding for having done so, nevertheless it does have som get up and go, now listed on Ebay, any takers.............

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=120408532364

post-1356-144023518677_thumb.jpg

yep its a shamei am south ozz. its more the loom and various other bits that i am interested in

i already ave a l28 f54 / p90 combo, turbo manifold and l28et distributor.

At the price you have it i would have taken the lot though

as i said i am building an l28et so far i have the the turbo exhaust manifold and distributor

so i need the oil lines, water lines, sump,

I am not sure if the l20et inlet manifold is any better than the standard l28e inlet is, or if

the l20et ecu will run the l28et.

This is not so important as i will be ruining an aftermarket ecu eventually any way

At the price you have it i would have taken the lot though

A thought...

Why not take the whole unit, freight wont be too much from Melb to SA and youll have it all  to play with and sort out... and onsell what you dont need

:)

• Moderators

I'm seriously thinking about it...would'nt mind playing wit a turbo setup in the 240....just watching the auction though.. for $400 I would pay but $750 is just out of my price range!

Guy's, I'm more than happy to disuss payment terms, am hoping the money I get will go towards part of the purchase of Webers and would rather see it go to someone on here who's after a set up like that, so if you are interested just drop me a line and we can discuss.

At one stage I was thinking of taking the original Zed's motor I have stored away and transferring the turbo set up across, but I really want to build a classic ZG looking vehicle up like the one pictured below but in Pearl red with Black and beige leather interior.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023518795_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok just an update and a few pics to prove the process on Rose is underway.

As Mick has posted, the old L20 is now cross border in S.A. awaiting its next ride transplant, here you can see my youngest Marcus who spent the Saturday helping remove the motor, these aint just show shots, this kid is so into the idea of this ride coming back to life that he really got into it, and copped a ring spanner in the head for his efforts at one stage..........lol

Anyhow, the motor's out and I've managed to source some parts in the meanwhile, (X1) 40dcoe from California, and (X2) from Canada, all up, US$400,00 shipped and a manifold off Smurf on the forum.

Also a front and rear set of screen moulds also form the U.S. paid US$10.50 for them but shipping due to the packaging size meant US$125.00 shipped.

Now just need a set of door trims/cards and the inner sill/carpet garnishes and some other smaller odd's and ends, and the G-Nose of course.

next Saturday, the strip down begins and by the following weekend should be on the rotisserie and ready for the soda blasters, there are going to be some cold weekends spent in the garage.

Found a complete packaged rear bar including over-riders stored away in plastic wrap, been in the basement at Mom's for over 20 years, so may have them up for sale soon along with the spare rear screen mould set.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023521084_thumb.jpg

post-1356-144023521097_thumb.jpg

maybe if he got a haircut he could see the spanner coming for his face ;) haha but i can't talk, my hair isn't exactly short

Good work. I like your inspiration, there seem to be a few guys wanting/working on black zeds atm :)

I saw a late model Honda road bike a few weeks ago in this pearl red which had so much depth it looked spectacular, the probe I have at the moment used to be emerald green and I re-sprayed it in a recent Ferarri color called "Rubino Micalazotto" but it has nowhere near the vibrancy of the Honda road bike color.

Im hoping this along with a full leather interior and dash along the lines of this pic I found will work well.

Have a trimmer called Pat who owns and runs Sunshine motor trimmers who has won a lot of custom awards for his interiors who will be doing the re-trim, I used him 15+ years ago on a lot of the restoration work I did in my shop, his work is faultless.

Your thoughts? 

post-1356-144023521125_thumb.jpg

No wasnt going too, I want the trims stiched up in the same pattern as the original 260 trims and will be using a black wheel, the pic is just a basic idea of what I want to do, there will be differences, at the moment the car in the pic looks a bit over cooked, I'd rather it was toned down and incorporated black and tan similar to the balance BMW's have with their interiors.

• Moderators

Don't get a wood steering wheel like that, and don't get 240Z embossed in the door panels either. Thats so tacky.

+1 with that.. Its like you have that there to remind yourself what car you are driving. Z logo on it's own may be just OK but anything else...ewww. Your original plan of just a re-trim in the original pattern is great.

• 4 weeks later...

OK,

Know I've been quiet for a while, and for good reason............

Apart from a heavy workload, a load of interstate travel in the next few weeks and having flu symptoms that I just cant shake, I've also been toiling away stripping "Roze" down to her bare bones, and as of today the only thing left on her is the rubber joiner between the fuel nozle and the tank, everything else is gone and she is now sitting on the rotiesse and secured just in case from the garage roof as well.

It's taken 5 days to strip her down and I'm happy to report that rust is at an absolute minimum mainly surface rust at some of the panel joins, nothing that wont clean up in the main, I think the biggest worry I had was when I went to take the guards off and was having kittens when I saw the amount of crap sitting along the top of the upper skirt rails and tucked up against the inner sill panel and guards, but once I brushed it all off and vaced away the rest I found there was nothing at all, my heart goes out to all of you who have major rust problems and are patching away, I count myself lucky to say the least.

Structually theres only some finishing to do to the right hand front apron behind the nose cone, I never totally finished it last time I had that small bingle in it some 16 years ago, also below the drivers seat theres a bit of impact damage and a 3 cm tare in the floor pan but thats an easy fix.

Next up, time to get it soda blasted, which should be in the next few weeks, looks like I have also tracked down a mobile guy who basically puts a tent up around the car and blasts away on site, going to see if I can get some pics of previous jobs they have done on site before commiting to an on site blast at home although it would save a lot of hauling around.

OK, so wanted to post pics of the car as it is and crucial panels and structures tonight but left the mini USB link at work, so will have to wait till tomorrow morning.

Cheers

John

good to see another zed getting worked on that had been left to sit for a bit of R and R (my project has been in a sim state for the last 13 years)

You zed looks to be a S31 (Fairlady Z) from the under bonnet pics I have seen on this thread is that correct? ie chassis number is S31-xxxxx or a later RS30 aka 260z 2seater