Toyota FT86/Subaru BRZ

Just wanted feedback on what impact the new ft 86 will have on the sports car market. If this car is a big success (Early road tests seem very impressive), will it affect the values of the 350z's and 370z's. While the ft 86 is priced in the 30-35k, it is quite cheaper than a new 370z and very close to many used 350z's  priced currently between 22k and 35k. The fact that there hasn't been an affordable coupe for a while on the market with rwd and good styling, means that many buyers haven't had the opportunity to buy such a car new, now they will, and it may tempt people out of their older sports cars into something new. It may also have an impact on the grey import market particularly the 350gt and some 90's cars.

• Moderators

Gidday All,

Toyota certainly considered what is happening in the used sports car market when deciding on price for the 86. By getting the entry price under 30K the hope is to attract buyers who would normally only consider a used vehicle and yes the 350z is in that price range.

It would also be true to say that the launch of the 86 will generate interest in that segment and should result in increased demand for both new and used Japanese sports coupe's.  Wether this will flow down to the 240 & 260's hard to say but the market is certainly going through a "retro" demand cycle.

No one can be sure what will result, but initial reaction from the dealer training sessions last week was fantastic and that combined with strong the media will result in Japanese sports cars being the topic of discussion in car circles for some time. Whenever an interesting new car is launched people look for comparisons to previous market changing cars and the 240z was certainly that back at launch

Just my opinion

Cheers

PB

Thanks PB very interesting. I guess I'm thinking there might be a market correction with the release of the FT 86. While in the US a 2003 350z can be yours for 10K,  in Australia they still retail between 22k-25k which I guess may change in the next 12 months. A 2009 370z can be bought here for 48k and this may also change. I would love to see Nissan counter with a replica of a 240z. 

• Moderators

The big challenge car companies face in Australia with sports cars and all low volume offerings is that our market is very small by comparison to the US etc.

Add to that we have VERY stringent ADR's and are RHD, so it can be very hard to prove a return on investment for something that may be limited volume, highly desirable, but limited volume.

Think about it this way, whilst SS & HSV Commodores are worshiped by huge numbers of race fans,  most never buy one, they buy the cheaper and high volume V6 versions (the huge success of the SV6 points to this) GMH don't need to prove the return on SS & HSV as they are both based on same Comodore platform.

If only things could be simple

Cheers

PB