Overpriced Personalized number plates?

luvemfast

Since one of the mods decided to delete a post........

A current for sale thread got me thinking.

Has anyone ever bought, or heard of an actual sale, of these personal/custom plates that are purely for financial gain?

Like towards the rear of unique cars. Silly ones, that are, I don't know. $3,000  ::)

Some plates are worth ALOT of money to the right people. But it is also a matter of the right person looking for the 'right' plate when it is for sale. 'The plates' that I am assuming you are reffering to may not, and in QLD, would not have been that expensive to buy new. Saying that, there will be someone out there who will and can pay what they want for what ever plate they want (that sounds confusing but seems to make sense, I've had a couple).

Stop being an old bitch Simon. That number plate FS thread was just that - A FOR SALE THREAD!

Not for discussing the worth of them. That's why I deleted your comment.

People can ask whatever they like for an item they are selling.

Remember: an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I wasn't even looking for plates for my Zed and had never even given it much thought. Even when i found BAD 260 for $250 at a swap meet in Ballarat i had to go home and have a good think about it for 24hours. Personalized number plates are a luxury for most and mine were just standard plates that someone had on the Hotrod which they paid a standard price for but for me they were worth the price tag.

I wonder how much mine would fetch on ebay. Maybe i should list them to see what someone would pay for them!

It's not a bitch Lurch, ya douche! (wonder if those plates are available for you)

As pm'ed. Was a genuine question.

I subscribe to unique cars and it blows my mind, the prices people ask for non collectible plates. IMHO, vintage enamel are the only collectible ones.

Hell, my wife has personised plates. But they are just that! It's fine for peeps to have "FASTZ" or the likes. That doesn't make it an investment or valued more that original purchase price.

So do they ever sell for MASSIVE profit?

Or like Mark's pick up, more reasonably priced ones the only ones that sell?

• Moderators

Like a few people have stated; they are only worth what you want to pay. I've bought and sold some plates a while back and have never asked for a massive amount. It's worth a try but I know plates always sell for a lower price than what they cost from Vicroads. Standard personalized prices are around the $495 mark. That is probably the maximum I'd pay (maybe a bit more if it was my most sought after combo) but that's it. Have a look on ebay for some crazy prices on some average plates; like $10k for NASDAQ? and "MOMMY" plates that started at $10K and now at $7000. To me not worth $70 but who knows..someone out there may pay it!

Any custom plate I see, if it's at a good price, I'll pay. If not, just laugh and move on.

I have a plate that is probably only worth scrap value of the tin, but to me, i reckon its worth alot.

Its not even a 'combination' just a random standard issue.

Its an old Californian plate, still with early 80's tags on it, its in average condition, but it'll look awesome hanging on my wall of my garage once i get around to setting it up how i want it (and buying the house attached to it, but thats another story)

It came into the country attached to a Fiberfab Avenger that was planned to be restored, but changed hands several times before i ended up storing it for a mate.

As was said though, anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay.