Keeping a Z w/o garage

hash76

Hey all,

I was wondering if I could get an opinion on this from people who have a better idea on looking after old cars than myself. I currently live in Sydney, but my Datsun is in Melbourne. Would it be detrimental to the condition of a 260z if I brought it up to Sydney and kept it without a garage, but with a waterproof cover, even if it is during the driest months of the year (July-Sept?). Would the cold effect the car in any detrimental way? I am mainly speaking in terms of rust, I'm sure the old l26 is game for a bit of cold, however.

your opinions will probably determine whether I bring her up or not haha.

thanks!

My car is outside 24/7 and the conditions here in Melbourne lately are extremely cold, wet and windy. I get a bit of water dripping in from my sun roof, but apart from that, I think rust wise it should be OK.

Just make sure you wash and wax it once every fortnight  8)

Keeping cars under covers can also be a bad thing, especially out in the weather. But depending on climate.

It can create a hot house effect. Meaning higher humidity inside the cover.

Dare say, it would be better under a cover. Than out in the elements.

Are you going to return to Melbourne, or stay a Sydneysider?

Do you have another car up there? Is it garaged in Melbourne?

Do you miss it and have to drive it? Now?

So many factors.

Yes, I do have another car up here but I miss the datto. I'm intending to swap and keep the datto in Sydney for the first half of semester 2. I will be in Sydney for a long time, however.

And yes I do miss, it wish I could  drive it everyday haha.

So many factors indeed.

The body is pretty spot on, but there are a couple of rust spots and I have no idea how fast they will deteriorate if I were to bring her up.

How vital is the wash and wax?

My car is outside 24/7 and the conditions here in Melbourne lately are extremely cold, wet and windy. I get a bit of water dripping in from my sun roof, but apart from that, I think rust wise it should be OK.

Just make sure you wash and wax it once every fortnight  8)

Hey Man- The problem here isn't the water on the outside it's the condensation that develops under the skin of the panels and then sits there and just gradually spider veins into a rust problem that you wont see until it's too late.  The steel used on these cars is almost porous and sucks in any moisture.  Water + cold +condensation + ZED = another rusty resto on its way!

Rev.