Suspension too low?

neRok

Hey, I believe my car is too low to get rego and I need to raise it. Only needs to go up ~15mm to clear the mufflers (chassis is above 100mm already, stupid mufflers). So what are my options for a quick and dodgy raise. I am thinking some rubber donut spacers under the springs might do it? Any idea what Ø? Or maybe make some timber ones lol.

Alternatively, does anybody have some documentation on factory ride height? I looked in service manual, couldnt find anythin. If i can prove it is at factory ride height, they would have to accept exhaust as it is.

260 shell?

If so the middle muffler could be moved higher up in the tunnel, a couple of dogleg bends, few clamps etc, via a exhaust shop that can actually do such work ( not Midas)

A fair bit cheaper than re jigging your whole suspension.

If not, two options, dissassemble struts, fit machined spacets of required heights, make sure springs fit "into" them, go through rego, them remove spacers( donut shaped rings, alloy is best)

If you get pulled up, just go through excersise,

Or,

Buy some springs, which i can help you out with ASAP, posted to you.

it is a 260z actually, but not the one in my sig, i got another with 350chev. I actually cant remember if it has 1 or 2 mufflers, but regardless it has some flanges in the middle of the car that are also too low and that area of exhaust has been ceramic coated, so dont want it chopped up.

What is the stock ride height? This car is very similar height to my other 260z, I am wondering if it is stock. Like I said, chassis and body seem a decent height, just the big fat exhaust is a little low.

Dont think there are too many left at stock height, and measurements all vary.

As said i have a full set of springs for 260 that will lift it, but as you say your big fat exhaust is very low, so no gaurantees that it will solve it.

You need to lift it by your figure of 15 mm.

What are current springs, dimensions, no of coils, coil wire diam,  are they aftermarket?

Any markings on springs, if yellow they could be Kings, if red they could be Pedders?

If you dont wish to lift exhaust closer to floor, next option is to machine up required height spacets and fit to top of spring under strut tops. Four bits of 40 mm thick, alloy round at 100 diam, with steps to suit top of spring and underside of spring top seat, will solve.

Local machine shop can do this

That can work, but, i think he needs at least 15mm extra height at minimum.

Could weld some extra long threaded stud rod onto the existing strut top studs, could work.

Combined with the tyre pressure increase, i once tried inflating a old tyre a bit higher than recommended, got to 120psi, then the tread got a big bulge in it, and it blew with a lovely loud bang.

90 psi should do the trick.

One thing we all forgot to suggest, was to fit some old fashioned L section height ( 90 aspect sidewall height) crossply tyres on a set of original 4.5" wide early 240Z steelies, that'll lift it

Might try packing it out and pumping the tyres, see how I go. If I can get a bit of height in the rear, everything should clear. Will take the spare and stuff out too, for that little extra.

It would be awesome if I could get some sort of coil spacer that could be fitted with everything still assembled (albeit with the car on jacks and the springs compressed). like a rubber ring with an opening/notch like the pic below.

post-2311-144023675326_thumb.png

you need to have a spare fitted for rego, likewise, your suspension needs to operate in the manner it was designed, so any sort of spring clamps or blocks are out of the question, unless they are captive UNDER or ON TOP of the spring itself.

Many cars have rubber isolator blocks on the ends of springs, one that comes to mind is the rear springs of a Holden Gemini, they are a rubber donut, with a flat side on one end, and a machined groove for the spring on the other, from memory, approx 10-15mm thick. i think the springs were approximately the same diameter. Or pretty damn close anyway.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/skyjacker-coil-spring-isolator-pad-leveling-kits-rear-3-4-pair-sj-jkrps75.html

its an american site, but perhaps you can try down at your local ARB? or maybe have a scout around some wrecking yards?

That is what I am looking for. My commodore has them also, not sure on the diameter though.

We dont need a spare for rego over here, but if you have one it has to be roadworthy. Pretty silly really lol.

That is what I am looking for. My commodore has them also, not sure on the diameter though.

We dont need a spare for rego over here, but if you have one it has to be roadworthy. Pretty silly really lol.

same here in VIC