Your opinion - LH Floor damage

foodie

Hey guys,

Pretty new to the forum (posting wise).

I have finally got some urge to get my machine on the road.  1 item I am not sure about in regards to passing a safety cert in QLD is the floor on my 260z.

It looks like the car has had a bingle and landed on something pushing up the floor and the 'gusset' ?  I have never had this thing registered, but when I did drive it home and around the block when I bought it, it drove fine.

What do you guy think?  Is this repairable?  Are you allowed to cut it out and weld in a new piece?

I see with some floor replacements that the 'gusset' also comes with the floor, does this mean you cut it and weld it back on again?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-240Z-260Z-LEFT-HAND-PASSENGER-FLOOR-PAN-/230761380148?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ba733934#ht_1847wt_952

Obviously I want the car safe, but this doesn't look or feel like it's going to move or break - not rusty etc.

20120408_125024.jpg

20120408_124948.jpg

20120408_125220.jpg

Hump

20120408_125630.jpg

Trying to show you how high the hump goes, about an inch.

20120408_125636.jpg

I'd love to know what caused that.

Before you go ahead and do any cutting, why don't you just have a go at straightening it out? A big sledge hammer and a board/metal piece in the cabin and have at it! Or maybe a couple of your largest mates stamping it back into place. Or a porta power to pull/push it back into shape.

Worth a try. Worse case scenario is the frame rail buckles and you have to replace it.

So welding in a new channel won't void my chances of a road worthy?  I know welding to a chassis is a no no on my 4wd.

I hit it pretty hard this afternoon with a regular hammer.  Needs more weight like a sledge, but it wont straighten the bent frame underneath.

I am going to have to rip up the noise deadner to check for rust.

Thanks guys.  While waiting for the replies to this tread I rebuilt my combination switch and now have headlights again!!  Relay mod for the headlights is on the list!

Foodie,

that is not part of the chassis.  The chassis runs down the sills.  All that pseudo chassis support does is give some strength/protection to the floor.  Some members extend it all the way back to the rear chassis cross pieces and therefore it does more than support the floor, but in standard form is just supports the floor, so you don't do a Fred Flinstone when you step into it.

MaygZ

Thanks mate, its hammer time!!  :P

Foodie,

that is not part of the chassis.  The chassis runs down the sills.  All that pseudo chassis support does is give some strength/protection to the floor.  Some members extend it all the way back to the rear chassis cross pieces and therefore it does more than support the floor, but in standard form is just supports the floor, so you don't do a Fred Flinstone when you step into it.

MaygZ

• 4 weeks later...

:)Had similar hole in LH floor of mine.

Rare spares in Melbourne have a good replacement, pre fabed piece for the LH side. The metal is slightly thicker also and is easy to use.

Good Luck :)

Andrew