Looking at a 240Z next week - any advice welcome

ScottyB

As the title states, I am looking at a 240Z next week in the northern end of the state.

Never driven a Z - want to own one.

I have loaded up with what to look for as far as rust areas, I'll check ot the usual sign of previous damage....but have extremely limited knowledge on how it shold drive or perform. For what I want to get, this sounds pretty good - a weekender that I can take to the track or drive / cruise whenever and have some fun with. Not looking for an original matching numbers car.

The car in question supposedly has:

L28 and 5 speed (unknown details about the block and head and compession)

A/Maket Cam (unknown)

Triple Webers

no rust.

straight

mint interior

new rear shocks

most or all underbody rubbers recently replaced.

sunroof (only bad thing so far)

globe mags

red duco.

Any opinions, suggestions or help would be appreciated.....it's at the high end of what I want to spend on a Z, but I also don't want a project - so it fits with my requirements + is in Tassie.

Cheers

• Moderators

I'd be worried about the "no rust" comment. Unless they have photo's of a complete tear down and rotisserie rebuild, I would assume there will some rust somewhere that is not visible ie behind the lower edge of the front guards or chassis rails, hatch hinge area for example. I hope its true but the bad thing about zeds is they rust from the inside out. 

That was my concern.

He suggested that there was a replacement panel put in (pretty sure he said floor pan passenger side)

I have only spoken to him over the phone and can't wait to see/drive it next week - just looking for advice.

He has driven it at Symmons Plains race track and suggested he got 1.09's.  That is not a bad effort in my opinion, but I still have limited info on l28s in general.

Hey Scott, what colour is it? Just wondering if I know the car. 1:09's at Symmons is pretty slippery for a n/a street z.

Its red with old school 5 spoke mags (googled them). I wish I could bring it to the BP and have you and Rob take a good look at it as I have no confidence. Its the first one I will have ever driven or look at closely that's a complete car.

Given its the most I would want to spend, I want to be sure it is what it sounds to be.

I like the idea of a mildly modified l28 as it's what I want.

Car is in Launceston

What day are you going to look at it?  I may be pit crewing for a mate running Sports GT at the Supercars meet next weekend.  Can't promise anything but maybe I could tie in to come look at it with you.  I reckon dad will be with me too.

going Wednesday after seeing customers for work between Devonport and Launceston.

If it goes well, I will definitely be in touch.

There is another car that half interests me if it's tidy that is down south:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/datsun-260z-1977-11889493?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=11&eapi=2&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294966615 4294966410&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5&sort=default

• Moderators

With rust areas, add the firewall, chassis rails under the car, rear hatch hinge area, radiator support frame. I wouldn't worry about rusty panels that can be replaced, just the main unibody.