2-seater rear window glass variations question

gilltech

I have two spare 2-seater original rear window glasses, identical in size, but noticeably different in thickness and weight. Just out of curiousity, is it simply a case of one being a 240 screen & the other a 260? Or was there a changeover at some other period in Zed history?

Depends on the market the donor car the glass came from in the first place.

260z stuff is as follows

General export = 4.0mm thick (ie NZ)

Europe export = 4.0mm thick

Australian export = 5.0mm thick

240z does not state other than

General export = 4.0mm thick

there a number of other part numbers for different markets, tint, temperd, heating but no mention of thickness so assume all 4.0mm thick.

Thanks for the info. Interesting that Australia required a thicker rear screen. It may only be 25% but feels far more.

Sorry, but I have another question  ::):

Regarding glass tint (overall tint) - my NZ-delivered '74 260 has pale blue tinted glass; was that standard or an option? I've seen 260s that look to have clear glass, but then glass can be deceptive in certain lights. A forum thread some time ago indicated that only the very early 240s had clear glass & all the Zeds that followed had pale blue. But is that correct, or only correct for Australia?

• 5 months later...