Author Topic: My Ride WTFF (Also 1974 260Z 2+2)  (Read 16173 times)

Offline Lightmaster240z

• Donating Member
  • I don't know what I am Doing now HELP
Re: My Ride WTFF (Also 1974 260Z 2+2)
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2012, 06:57:10 AM »
Are you ready to sell your 260 to me yet 8)
The man to see for your lighting neededs

Offline Bozo

• Donating Member
  • 53-681
    • Vicspace
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2012, 09:48:34 PM »
Haha there are still a few things I would like to perfect before I sell it :)

Need to:
-Fit Elec Dizzy
-Timing Adjustment
-Re-upholster rear seats
-Re-paint front air damn (maybe)

Offline Bozo

• Donating Member
  • 53-681
    • Vicspace
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2012, 05:39:20 PM »

Pics are taken in the dark, wet Melbourne weather... Seats also require a cleaning with upholstery cleaner:

Offline Zedman240

• Dimitri Vazz
  • Global Moderator
  • I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2012, 07:55:26 AM »
All you need now are the 10" wide 17's with the flares and you are done.
HS30-00121 'early girl'
Have u got any old SHOGUN bikes in the shed? Under the house? ME WANT!
Breaks-Something that fails.
Brakes-Stop your car.
There-in  or  at  that  place (opposed  to  here).
Their-of, belonging to, made by, or done by them

Offline Bozo

• Donating Member
  • 53-681
    • Vicspace
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »
-$247 New front crank seal fitted (29/06/2012)

fudge this, I've had enough. This car has sucked the living blood and soul out of me. I would've had $25000 in the bank by now if I still had my celica.

For Sale. PM me offers

Offline Lightmaster240z

• Donating Member
  • I don't know what I am Doing now HELP
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »
And a nice hair cut to go with the Celica.  :-*
The man to see for your lighting neededs

Offline d3c0y

• Garage San Maru
  • Donating Member
  • No, you can't fit 10" wheels without flares...
    • Garage San Maru
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2012, 07:40:38 PM »
Could have had a pretty good 240Z for that money too. That's why everyone will advise you to buy a good condition car that you want from the outset. It's just modifying cars mate.
Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Engine: http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,10674.135.html
Car: http://www.facebook.com/Garage.San.Maru

Offline Gav240z

• Gavin - Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • Datsun 240z Project
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2012, 08:38:13 PM »
-$247 New front crank seal fitted (29/06/2012)

fudge this, I've had enough. This car has sucked the living blood and soul out of me. I would've had $25000 in the bank by now if I still had my celica.

For Sale. PM me offers

Here is some free advice, from someone who's been there and done that, well not quite but I've been a broke student and I've spoken to Nigel (now Sexual_Sushi's car) about how he felt when he was putting it back together.

Nigel told me, he wanted to sell his car for a ham sandwich when he scratched the paint fitting the brake lines to the firewall of his Z. He got so fed up and frustrated that he didn't want to know about it anymore.

I think we can ALL relate to this, old cars like this require money, patience, skill and compromise. If you're feeling a bit sick of it now it's understandable but don't go and sell it for a fraction of what you have invested into it. It looks great and you've done lots of hard work. If you want to save some money that's fine, buy a cheap run-about something you don't care about getting a ding in, or leaving it in car parks for extended hours at a time.

Put the Z on CH plates, insure it as a second car and drive it on weekends and other special occasions. It looks like your old folks have a garage, see if you can store it in there out of the weather and work on it when you feel like working on it. That way you're not rushing to put it back together for work the next day and can take your time to do it right. Less stress that way.

Also don't be so sure about the Celica, my friend had 1 of those and blew a head gasket and had to rebuild the motor. He invested lots of cash in it and another friend of ours had the same car and even after the rebuild it was still slower than my other mates high mileage engine, drove him absolutely bananas.

What I'm saying is you've spent lots of your money, time and effort into this car and to be honest there are still a few niggles to sort out. If you sell it now, someone else will pick up a bargain and sort out those niggles and probably have a great car for many years.

When you don't have to drive 1 of these cars everyday, you'll soon realise how much fun it is when you do get it out and on the road. The noise, the seating position, the looks, the feeling of non-power steering. It's easy to forget how fun it is when it's a daily driver and you get stuck in traffic etc..

Of course you don't have to take any of this advice, but just offering some anyway. Last thing you want to do is list it for sale and deal with low ball offers and end up giving it away for 20 cents and a pack of tic tac's.

Actually part of the reason I moved to Europe was that I was spending all my spare cash on Z-car parts and I figured while I'm young I'll go travel, see the world and come back to my Z in a couple of years. Now I'm glad I have it stored at my parents place and when I went home and fired it up and took it out in the sun (Oh how I miss the Aussie sun!) I had so much fun with it and thought to myself, "I could never sell this".

1972 Datsun 240z

Offline boyblunda

• Donating Member
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2012, 10:46:53 PM »
Gav, this is one of the best and most timely posts I have ever seen on a Z Forum. Well said.

Bozo, you obviously have put in a huge investment in to this car and you are on the cusp of reaping the rewards. I am personally impressed by the energy you have put into your Zed and the the positive posts you have made on your build. Put it aside for a while if you you need to do so but realise that this is NOT the personal moment, or the climate in the market, for you to think of selling the car.

The light is beaming at the end of the tunnel.

Best regards
Dave
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:52:58 PM by boyblunda »
Dave
1976 260Z 2+2 Black manual - refresh project  for touring
1974 260Z 2 seater manual to be returned to white - refresh project for fun and a little sport

Offline Bozo

• Donating Member
  • 53-681
    • Vicspace
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »
I sincerely appreciate your time and effort into typing up this very inspiring advice Gav.
You are 110% correct. It's just that when these silly breakdown occur it just pisses me right off as it's such an inconvenience having your car off the road and catching unreliable public transport to work so early in the morning in which people don't even know that I am in fact a Z driver!!!
The right thing to do is as you suggested - buy an everyday run around car to work and back, get the Z on CH plates and drive on the weekends - the only problem is I might not be in the work force next year and owning and insuring 2 vehicles can be a financial problem...
What really ticks me off at the back of my mind is the fact that I have spent an awesome amount of cash and invested in an inferior 2+2 model 260Z, whom many outside people dismiss as nothing so special. Just as d3c0y said - I could have had a decent condition 240Z.

When do you reckon is the right market climate to be selling vintage inferior model vehicles then Dave??

By the way Gav, is your Z the one with the L28 G35R turbo???

Offline Scoota G

• R.O.E.
  • Donating Member
  • Mark
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »
Part of the problem with your car is you Sam, on more than one occasion you've had work done and failed to seek peoples advice. It's no good saying is this the right price after the fact but all this bears little to no relavance.

What i hear you say?
How much have you learned during the process?
Will these skills transfer to other areas of your life?
No good wasting your life with ifs of buts, i have a friend in Ballarat who has spent about 100K on cars and all he has is a 71 Jag and a 90's model white work van. As far as i'm concerned you have gotten off lightly for a young fellow with limited knowledge, most get spanked severely!

As for the 2+2 being inferior i have one and once it's finished i bet you will hear me singing it's praises for years to come.

When you first entered this club you had an attitude which some didn't appreciate and many suspected that you wouldn't last long, wouldn't go the distance. But there you are, still here.

These cars can bend you over the table time and again, i swear some have a device that scans your wallet every third time you get in it and destroys a part to the value of $10 more than you have in there. One thing i can be certain of, if you were to go on a club cruise you wouldn't care if your car was a 2+2 or steals all your cash!
1975 260Z Triple 45MM Dellortos Daily Driver
1975 260Z 2+2 302 V8 C4 Auto (Shop Build)
1990 Nissan Pulsar SR20DE Project (Release Date 2014)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/StreetWeaponRestorations

Technology costs a money and a money we don't got

Offline luvemfast

• Simon
  • Donating Member
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2012, 01:40:33 PM »
+1 for Scoota's advise.
Bottom line...... Learn to work on it yourself!

As far as not working next year and not wanting to spend money on insurance and rego. CH plates and insurance to suit, would cost under $500 together for the year.

And stop calling a 2+2 inferior  >:(

Offline FuzzyDropbear

• Donating Member
    • The Fuzzy Project on Facebook
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »
**snip**
And stop calling a 2+2 inferior  >:(

I agree!  ;D No wonder your car spits the dummy if that's what you think of it.

If you really do dislike the 2+2 that much, then maybe you should sell it (or just stick it in the shed). Cut your loses, then take public transport to work while you save your pennies for a 2 seater?

**snip**
...I have spent an awesome amount of cash and invested in an inferior 2+2 model 260Z, whom many outside people dismiss as nothing so special. ...

If so, then I would be asking myself.... Do the opinions of these people really matter?

Honestly, the others have made one very, very valuable point..... Learn to work on it yourself. These cars aren't really that complex. You can buy a few books, ask questions here and buy a few tools (if you don't already have them) and have a bucket load of fun every time you go near it (whether fixing or driving).

Offline Scoota G

• R.O.E.
  • Donating Member
  • Mark
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2012, 04:36:13 PM »
You can see how far this family will go to help out another club member. That alone has to be worth 20K !!
1975 260Z Triple 45MM Dellortos Daily Driver
1975 260Z 2+2 302 V8 C4 Auto (Shop Build)
1990 Nissan Pulsar SR20DE Project (Release Date 2014)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/StreetWeaponRestorations

Technology costs a money and a money we don't got

Offline Zedman240

• Dimitri Vazz
  • Global Moderator
  • I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2012, 05:13:34 PM »
One other little point to add is these 2 seaters do breakdown as well..
and +3 for learning do DIY... grab a workshop manual and get dirty.

Remember...even geniuses had to learn not to crap in their own pants.
HS30-00121 'early girl'
Have u got any old SHOGUN bikes in the shed? Under the house? ME WANT!
Breaks-Something that fails.
Brakes-Stop your car.
There-in  or  at  that  place (opposed  to  here).
Their-of, belonging to, made by, or done by them

Auszcar 240z, 260z, 280zx Forums

« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2012, 05:13:34 PM »