Ian's '74 2+2

Well, I've been hanging around here for a while, so I figure it's time to post some details of my car and plans. I've had it for about a year now, but haven't done much do it yet - I've been busy getting married and trying to finish my PhD - maybe starting a journal thread will get me moving.

Like the thread title, the car's a 1974 2+2, auto (soon to change), L28 with N42 head and flat-tops (also soon to change 8)). The body seems pretty straight, although the rear hatch doesn't sit right and rubs against the roof when opened (see pics), and the doors don't seem to be quite right (the windows at the top front seem to be a bit to square, if that makes sense). There's a scratch in the windshield from the wipers (which i think is too deep to patch up). It also has no front bumper or mounting for the front number plate (does this usually screw onto the bottom of the grill?). Mechanically it runs pretty well.

The interior needs work - the dash is capped, the tacho doesn't work, and while the door cards and seats are ok (just need re-covering), it's missing roof and support sections. Parts of an aftermarket aircon system are there, but not working (compressor, some piping, condenser? at the passenger's feet, not sure what's behind the dash). The interior will probably be the last thing i do.

Plans are:

- manual conversion - I have most of the parts, just a few left.

- electronic ignition

- new tacho (i think that's the problem)

- new headlights

- headers and new exhaust

- triple dellortos (I'm currently getting in trouble for leaving them sitting around on the dining room table)

- brakes - hilux front discs, and probably rear discs too

- front bumper and spoiler

- interior work

- ... I'm sure it'll never stop...

Anyway, I'll probably start posting some more now, asking some newbie questions (I really don't know what I'm doing, but I want to learn).

post-1454-14402357585_thumb.jpg

post-1454-144023575855_thumb.jpg

post-1454-144023575861_thumb.jpg

post-1454-144023575865_thumb.jpg

It's GRS30000921, and it is registered.

I do like the colour, but it's not a great paint job, there are one or two run marks towards the bottom, and some rippling on the roof where I'm thinking some moisture may have got on one of the coats? So there may be a respray at some point in the future...

The triples are still sitting in the box they came in (only bought them last week) - when I start fiddling with them I'll take pics.

Looks like you have a good starter. Love the colour and what bits do you need for manual conversion. Have a manual parts car if you need pedals etc. Good luck with the project. :)

I need a flywheel (I don't imagine it'll be to hard finding one, but I haven't really been looking). I also need the clutch line and hosing. If you have any of that, name your price. Otherwise I spend a bit of time in ipswich, there's the zbitz guy out at walloon that could probably fix me up.

edit: found some parts I thought I'd lost

Looks like the original shims are missing from behind your hatch door hinges Bobs, if they were in place the door would sit back and avoid scraping the paint...Have fun restoring the car, looks ok

Pete

You're right, checked my manuals this morning. I'll have to find some replacements. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Just dropped off the flywheel to be machined and get the clutch line made up, will be ready this afternoon - depending on what the leader of the opposition's (heh I like that term) plans are, I might get around to doing (or at least starting) the conversion this weekend.

You might have the leader of the opposition Ian but it's the finance minister that tells me what I can do with the Z  :) at my place.

Mine carries a few portfolios!  She has both of those as well as Recreation and War!

• 4 weeks later...

The world's slowest auto to manual conversion continues to progress slowly...

Got the prop shaft off (metric spanners helped), although not after a bit of a brain fart - I couldn't get it to turn to get to the 3rd and 4th bolts... had the car in neutral, couldn't think what was wrong - hand brake was on  ::)

While I was removing the starter motor and and some of the bellhousing bolts, it also occured to me that I must have a 280zx gearbox, and will need to get some longer bolts.

• 1 month later...

Update: gearbox is in, things I still need to do:

- trim hole in transmission tunnel to suit the shorter 280 box

- re-attach drive shaft and rear sway bar

- remove leftover auto fluid cooler lines from radiator

- plug (vacuum?) hole in manifold

- top-up gearbox oil

- see if it all works  :-\

I'll also need to track down the rubber piece that covers the hole in the gearbox near the slave cylinder before I do to much driving, as well as a rubber surround for the gear lever and a knob of some sort.

I must have forgotten! My mechanic probably did it for me back in the day.

Yeah the rubber boot is the piece i'm after. I'm sure they can be found on msa or somewhere similar i just don't want to purchase them from America unless i'm combining the postage with other stuff.

Went to start the car, and discovered I seem to have an electrical problem. I didn't pay any attention to which wires were which when removing the auto, so I'm not sure which ones are the starter inhibit. Seems there can only be 2 options (as there's 2 male and 2 female connectors). With one combination, everything works up to starting the engine - there's no starter motor. The other connection should therefore be the starter inhibit, but I connect them to each other, and the started motor comes on when the key hits the 'Acc' position.

I didn't investigate further, as the powers that be came outside and told me very sternly that I'd spent too much time on the car today and it was time for dinner...  ::) Is this a simple/common problem?