Author Topic: Lexan windows for 240Z  (Read 6575 times)

Offline acf321

• Donating Member
Lexan windows for 240Z
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:15:22 AM »
Has anybody used Lexan for the rear windscreen of a 240z or other model?

My questions are; 1) where do I get the stuff, 2) how much lighter is a lexan rear screen to an OEM screen, 3) is lexan much more noisy for a car, and 3) is Lexan easy to clean / polish and care for?

Rgds

Adam
1971 240Z HS30-00683

Offline Lynton

• Donating Member
Re: Lexan windows for 240Z
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
I think Lexan is a trade name for an engineering plastic? a bit like polycarbonate I think produced by a plastics conglomerate in US called General Electric
If you are in Melbourne perhaps speak to Martogg dandenong or polypacific the owners are related and someone in tech should be able to point you in the right direction for supply or an aftermarket manufacturer of sheet. Lynton ;)

Offline Brabham

• Donating Member
  • Patron Saint of Datsuns
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:28:19 PM »
Most guys in group S run lexan. If anyone here runs in this they should be able to help you out. I think ausplasfab.com.au may do this for cheap rates, think benzed got his windows (except windshield) done by them. Cheers.
Searching for Kobe Seiko works 4 spoke wheels (15" x 10" and 15" x 12.5"), 240Z manual pedal box..

Offline Lurch

• Locky
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 05:35:10 PM »
Paging Dimitri...

Offline Zedman240

• Dimitri Vazz
  • Global Moderator
  • I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »
Ive heard you can contact the firms that make windows for aircraft; like helicopters. They can shape them with a "bow" so the sheet, when it's in place doesn't pop in and out. That's why you some lexan screens with strips of alloy to hold the shape. There's a place in Dandenog called "Australian Sheet Traders" that have heaps of different materials. I got priced a large sheet of perspex for about $45 which is very competitive. I'm hoping to make my own lens covers...As for is it louder, I'm not sure but I can tell you, most of the noise from my zed comes from the front under the bonnet! With the scratching, you have to be careful with it as it is easy to mark. It's not hardened like glass. Weight saving is also a bonus. Most race cars do it!
HS30-00121 'early girl'
Have u got any old SHOGUN bikes in the shed? Under the house? ME WANT!
Breaks-Something that fails.
Brakes-Stop your car.
There-in  or  at  that  place (opposed  to  here).
Their-of, belonging to, made by, or done by them

Offline Ben

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 08:32:30 AM »
I'm going to run Lexan in my fibreglass hatch, but haven't tested the suppliers yet. It's commonly used in numerous classes of racing, so shouldn't be too hard to get hold of.

Keep the updates coming.
Ben
L28ET 1973 240Z
FJ20ET 1983 DR30 Skyline RS-X - sold :(
RB25DET 1996 WGNC34 Stagea RSFV
MY99 SF5 Forester GT

Offline .

• Past member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 06:11:17 PM »
I was going to go with Lexan but couldn't find anyone to make them up. apparenltly there is different equipment required to shape lexan. Plus the addtional cost seemed pointless. So I went with perspex instead. I am quite happy with the result. There is a place in the UK doing lexan sets for the zeds and with postage the set is around $1000 depending on exchange rates.

Offline .

• Past member

Offline PZG302

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:28:43 AM »
I use lexan for the rear screen and side windows in my 240.

The rear screen is 1.8mm thick and obviously very light weight. I have held it place with screws around the edge and sitting on small alloy blocks so it looks right. As it is a race car there are no seals to worry about, nor do Icare about leaks with rain. The window does bow out at speed but not enough to worry about. If I am ever pinged for it I will run an aluminium strip from the top to bottom of the opening over the window to stop the bow.

The quarter windows are 3mm lexcan and cut to shape and fitted into the standard frames.

The door windows are 3mm thick lexcan and again cut roughly to shape and held place in the original frames with a leather strap over the window frame and push stud. Works very well, though the drivers window is usually pulled out when I am driving.

The big advantage is weight for me, and cost. The last shhet I got for the rear screen was around $60 from a sign writer, just look up perspex in the yellow pages and you will find a supplier near you pretty easily.

As ypu go thicker the weight does increase and the cost does go up.

I still use a standard glass windscreen for safety and also because perspex and lexcan are very hard to keep clean and unmarked, not really an issue on side or rear glass.

Offline acf321

• Donating Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 05:36:40 AM »
Thanks PZG ..

I called a mob in QLD and they told me that i should not use Lexan, but instead acrylic, as; 1) lexan scratches more easily, and 2) acrylic is easier to work with. They said they take an factory piece of glass, lay acrylic over it and then place the whole thing in the oven to uniformly heat it. The heat allows the acrylic to take on the form of the glass, the edges trimmed and voilla! you have a new light rear screen.

The point I wanted to highlight was that acrylic was suggested as the preferred item over lexan, and i think the generic name for the acrylic item is perspex.

Watch the brown hornet blog to see what I end up doing, as at this stage i need to check prices and availability in Sydney.

1971 240Z HS30-00683

Offline PZG302

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 04:03:09 PM »
The biggest problem with lexcan or perspex is keeping it clean and clear. Use detergents and it will end up cloudy, plus both are easily scratched. As my car is a circuit racer the side windows I don't really care aboutand the rear hatch window is replaced as needed every few years at about $60 buck a throw to get a flat piece cut roughly to size and I then trim to suit.

Keep in mind all my windows are flat and haven't been shaped to suit, again I don't care about the appearence compared to the weight saving. My 240 weighs 960kg ready to hit the track with the only fibreglass panels being the bonnet and front bar. The steel front gueards are lighter than any fibreglass guards available.

For a road car I would recommend staying with glass as the maintenance is a lot easier and it does take a lot more punishment, as well as can be polished if it is scratched.

Offline Scoota G

• R.O.E.
  • Donating Member
  • Mark
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 04:21:10 PM »
Maybe to protect them you  could have one of those sheets like you stick to your phone screen to stop it getting scratched... but a really big one  :o
1975 260Z 2+2 302 V8 C4 Auto (Shop Build)
1975 260Z (Restoration to stock spec in progress)
1975 Torana SLR 5000 Tribute (Shop Build)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/StreetWeaponRestorations

Technology costs a money and a money we don't got

Offline PZG302

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »
Maybe to protect them you  could have one of those sheets like you stick to your phone screen to stop it getting scratched... but a really big one  :o

Just like the tear off windscreens they use in NASCAR!!!! :o :o

Offline .

• Past member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 09:55:08 AM »
Perspex cleans up easily as long as its not cloudy from a chemical reaction. Just use some really fine wet and dry.

Offline BenZed

• Ken & Mary suggest carbon
    • OTOMOTO
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 07:30:53 AM »
I had Ausplasfab cut a 4.5mm perspex window for my Zed. It is not as light as the 2mm stuff but still much lighter than glass and importantly it is so close to the original glass thickness that it is held in by the factory rubber (no screws). Most people don't even notice it. So far no problem with scratching etc.

Auszcar 240z, 260z, 280zx Forums

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 07:30:53 AM »