My Rotisserie

xs180sx

Started my rotisserie for the 240 this weekend. Thought I'd post some pics. It's coming together pretty easy, no big problems yet. But i'll find out if it actually works at the end. I'm making it so its height adjustable and it will be on castors, of course, so I can move it around, and roll the car on a trailer to take it to the blasters.

post-1387-144023549322_thumb.jpg

post-1387-144023549328_thumb.jpg

post-1387-144023549333_thumb.jpg

A few comments:

A good working height for the pivot points is approx 1250mm above the ground.

The axis of rotation of a stripped 240Z shell is 75mm above the bumper mounts - both front and rear, i.e. your pivot points should be 75mm above the bumper mounts. (see photos)

The castor wheels should be at least 4" dia to reduce the rolling resistance - Cheap as buggery on eBay and get the ones with brakes!

There have been several made with these basic dimensions and they all work fine.

Note: Check with the blaster about the castor wheels. I reassembled mine at the blaster's only to find that the openings in the grate they use as a floor in the blasting chamber snagged on the wheels.

I don't quite understand your reference to the trailer/rotisserie, but three blokes can easily carry a stripped shell.

post-684-144023549348_thumb.jpg

post-684-144023549354_thumb.jpg

post-684-144023549359_thumb.jpg

Peter, I like your second action shot. It looks like you are trying to catch the car and weld it while it's spinning around ;)

Apparently my dad has been busy and finished off my rotisserie. Apparently it works a treat. It's bloody solid, i reckon we could nearly get a complete car up on it haha. Beter safe then sorry I guess

...I like your second action shot. It looks like you are trying to catch the car and weld it while it's spinning around...

Just goes to illustrate the practical advantages of a rotisserie - no more overhead welding!

... i reckon we could nearly get a complete car up on it...

I think the biggest issue (weakest link) with rotisseries is not their strength per se, but how they attach to the rear bumper points. I get very nervous when I see cars with their rear-end, wheels and even the hatch panel, all attached and swinging off those bumper mounts. I am just about to fit sleeves through the rear rails on mine to be the new rear rotisserie points for when I am reshaping the rear wheel arches.

post-684-144023549364_thumb.jpg