Bathurst Motor Festival 18-19-20 April 2014

peterrx5

Well it is just over 3 weeks away now until I will be competing in the Modern Regularity Event running around the famous Mount Panorama Circuit in my lovely RX5. I am in the regularity event (group 1) organised by the New South Wales Road Racing Club, and hopefully having five 20 minute sessions around the mountain, with practice on the Friday then two sessions on both the Saturday and Sunday. If I can achieve a constant lap time of around the 3 minute 15 second mark I will be very pleased. This will be far better then my last attempt but I have made a few changes to the car since then, like replacing the 3 speed auto with a manual 5 speed box with the 121 ratios set, but the main thing I will need is bigger balls on the driver.

If you are at the event over the Easter Weekend please drop over and say hello!

Cheers

Peter

post-3340-144023746729_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

Hope you can make it, would be good to catch up, sorry I haven't got around to answering your previous email, just been very slack. One good thing about going around the mountain this time is that I won't have you in front of me chucking your muffler at me. :P

There are 5 members from the QLD Z Car Club entered in this event and we are all in the same group with me bring up the rear. Prefer it that way, stay out of trouble and let all the "Speed Racers" bang and crash into each other.

Cheers

Peter

Bloody unreliable suppliers  >:( Planned to upgrade the rear aero on the 280ZXT so there would be no excuse for not going flat through Caltex Chase, now, grrr......... Anyway it will be an adventure whatever happens, well, providing I'm not one of those crash and bash 'Speed Racers' someone with a underpowered rotary mentioned  :P

Looks like the wing element on order will arrive in time after all, the idea is to make a twin element using the info in Competition Car Aerodynamics to set it up properly. Have you got any elements suitable for a second Matt? The one I have is 80mm wide but really something around 100 - 150 would be better. PM your phone # if you like.

Had to get a pair of O ring type injector rails made up to suit the new Bosch evo 14 injectors, the engine is running and booked in for a dyno tune next Thursday. Have a video camera setup that works well so everything is just about ready to go.

Plenty of video please Peter and Richard  :)

Not sure if you would be interested in watching any of my in car videos. Took some at my last event (Super Sprint) at Morgan Park, Warwick and it looks like I am going on a sedate Sunday drive, but I was trying my heart out. Very boring and quite embarrassing.

Richard, you are a nasty man, picking on my car :'(

Cheers

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Blokes, I won't be going to Bathurst  :(  Only just found out that some spark plugs partially melted electrodes at PI which may have resulted in internal engine damage, engine compression test shows too much cylinder variation. Not going to risk a high speed engine failure at Bathurst so that's it for me, VG turbo engine will be pensioned off. May get a Chev V8 put in the Zed instead.

My racing number is 37, a pit tent is paid for so anyone from the Z club Q is welcome to use it. I'd appreciate someone picking up my paid for stuff too, stick on's, shirt and so on. If no one from Q wants the tent then anyone else is welcome to use it. Let me know so I can advise the promoters.

Hope everyone else has a great Easter weekend, just do a quick lap for me eh  :)

My racing number is 37, a pit tent is paid for so anyone from the Z club Q is welcome to use it. I'd appreciate someone picking up my paid for stuff too, stick on's, shirt and so on. If no one from Q wants the tent then anyone else is welcome to use it. Let me know so I can advise the promoters.

Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, hope it is not as bad as suspected, maybe going for a 13B rotary may be a good option  >:(

I would be very happy to use your pit tent if okay? My race number is 54 and I will be happy to collect your paid for stuff such as "Stick on's, shirt and so on.

That is if I make the event myself, having all sorts of problems with the transport of my car. The firm I had to do the job has withdrawn and I have been madly ringing round to try and get another transporter. Some of the quotes are unbelievable such as $800.00 to Bathurst then $1800.00 back to Brisbane, going north must use more fuel???? I don't understand. My last resort is to drive the Mazda down and back myself, but not keen on that option, too great a risk of damage.

Sorry again to hear about your bad luck!

Regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Have a sqiz at the Porsche group times in Qually!

Geoff Morgan in his Historic Group Sc Poky, leading a gaggle of GT3 Cup, and current Porsche cup cars, at 2.40 !

My best was a 2.43 in a little four cylinder.

Looking good for weather and number of cars.

Only a 240Z and a 350Z in reg grp 1, the 350 is fastest at 2.54

Rest of them should be up soon!

Well that's the end of an amazing weekend. 5 x 20 minute sessions (barring a few red flags) over three days, 50 plus cars in each of 2 groups and for me a best time of 2:52:74 which is about 10 seconds faster than I had hoped for, and a 3:05:9 for the missus who slightly smashed her regularity index time of 3:20:00.

I think all the zeds made it through in one piece and one of the QLD boys even took home a regularity trophy.

Will try and post some pics and video later in the week after the trek home.

It might not be proper racing but for those of us without racing cars it's the closest we'll get and for me it's a big tick off the bucket list.

Roger

• Moderators

Gidday Roger

10 Seconds better than you hoped for well done.

Look forward to seeing photo's and Vid of the fun.

Bathurst is a unique track.

Cheers

PB