Author Topic: New zed book  (Read 617 times)

Offline Gordo

• Racing member.
New zed book
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:22:07 PM »
Hi guys, some of you may have this book. Datsun Fairlady Roadster to 280zx. First published in 2006. I have quite a few zed books but this would be one of the better ones.ATM from the Pitstop Bookshop $19.95 plus post. Good value. Free call PH 1800 622422.
Don't talk about it, just Race it!!!

Offline boyblunda

• Donating Member
Re: New zed book
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »
This (I think 1998) book is a bargain - I have $69.90 on the price sticker attached to the copy I bought years ago.

The author has tackled a challenging breadth of topics in this book going right back to the origin of the Datsun story in 1913, progressing through the decades to the development of the Fairlady SP310, the SP311 and the Fairlady 2000. the section on Goertz' involvement should be read in the context of broader comment that has come to light since but this section does reflect some of the controversy that has surrounded his time and quotes Mr Katayama describing Goertz as "had been a consultant prior to the original Z project but was not involved with the design".

The book goes on to describe the development of the Z and has separate chapters for both racing and rallying, a section on restoration, and also describes the car in different markets.

The Pitstop deal is outstanding value. If you are into Zed books then do grab this one. It is clearly better then most other Zed books I have seen and will possibly be the best thing on Zeds until HS30-H pens his own.

Just to quote Alan Thomas (HS30-H) himself from a Classic Z post "DATSUN Z - Fairlady to 280Z" by Brian Long ( published by Veloce ) is probably the best English-language book out there on the S30 Z subject, but in my opinion the definitive book is still waiting to be written. There are a fair few publications in Japanese ( I collect them ) but these tend to skim over certain very interesting areas just to avoid rocking the boat. There are still a real lot of skeletons in Nissan's cupboards, and the Japanese journalists find it easier to keep them closed. This might sound a bit cryptic to you, but you have to bear in mind that there are lots professionally litigious people in the world who are also liars or at the very least gross exaggerators. In my mind its a crying shame that Nissan never really stood up for the team who actually designed the S30, and the Chief Designer in particular. In the months leading up to the inevitable hoo-ha about the "350Z" and with Nissan talking about its heritage, its ironic that Goertz is still getting the credit and namechecks for something that he had so little to do with................ ( so sue me, Albrecht! ). If I wrote a book about the Z I would just HAVE to confront the Goertz thing, and it would be difficult to be diplomatic about it."

I would think that the above quote is a pretty fair recommendation as to the value of Brian Long's book.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:39:19 PM by boyblunda »
Dave
1976 260Z 2+2 Black manual - refresh project  for touring
1974 260Z 2 seater manual to be returned to white - refresh project for fun and a little sport

Offline ITOW4U

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »
Not a bad book, got it a couple of weeks ago from Pitstop as well

Offline PB260Z

• Donating Member
  • Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I have just ordered a copy.

Cheers

PB
1981 280ZX T/Top Manual

Auszcar 240z, 260z, 280zx Forums

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »