Author Topic: Collectability and desirability of the various models sold in Australia  (Read 1676 times)

Offline positivetennis

As things stand at present in 2012 would the 240z and 260z 2 seater be considered the only cars worth collecting in the zed range. Should a low km origninal z32 be now in the mix as the next choice at the expense of a 260z 2+2, 280zx, and z31. Are z32's too complex mechanically to keep for a long time.
While an early 240z is very desirable but quite expensive now to buy, an original 1977 260z coupe seems quite a rare model in Australia with only 99 being sold so it might be a good choice, but many people like the early 74-75 260z coupe having less ADR compliance requirements. How important are performance values in this equation. In the 80's after the 240z was sold it took 4 models to get back to a similar performance value being the 86 z31 turbo. In the 90's the z32 took things to a different level and now a 370z  is at another level altogether. How important is market significance of the day.  Any thoughts about this topic. 

Offline DAZDA

• DAtsun chassis - maZDA rotary engine
  • Brap Brap Brap
As the economists would say, it's all about supply and demand.  If there is limited supply AND the demand exceeds the supply, then prices will rise.  Without both elements, there is no inherent value.

With cars, obviously time will slowly reduce the supply.   If the item was in limited numbers to begin with then that is even more of a factor.

Demand - well this is much more subjective.  What makes one person (like Lurch :P) want a pink Mazda 121 and someone else want a Holden Commodore?  Like the old 'saying', "There is no accounting for taste".  Therefore it is much harder to pick which item (or 'old school' car) will be the focus of reasonable demand.
We use and recommend;

http://www.capitalsteering.com.au  - Steering you in the right direction
http://www.fifthgear.com.au  - Get the Driver's Edge

Offline positivetennis

Thanks DAZDA for the reply. Supply and demand is indeed a major paradigm for the price of cars and 2 seater s30's in good condition are hard to come by these days. The shifting patterns of buyers tastes and the value for money equation also have some implications. I've been looking for a nice 260z coupe for a while in sydney as an automatic for for a cruiser  but once the price crosses that 15k price I get a little nervous, as I feel it would want to be a really good one. It also brings other cars into the equation when you get to this price level. Some people then make the decision that if they can't afford a coupe, maybe they should opt for a 2+2, 280zx, z31, z32, which is more affordable and perhaps in better driving condition. In concord there is an orange 240z that has been for sale for 36k and it has been on the market for at least 3 years now. I wonder what price ceiling a 280zx will reach, or will a z31 88 model experience a resurgence. Z32's are currently very cheap, but hard to find a good one. Also if you do find a good one, and you put a lot of K's on it, you may then lose your money.
Emotion also plays a role, which can at times be at odds with rational thinking. For example, I really love the 260z coupes and lets say I can get one for 15k. As I look at one my neighbour tells me for that price I can get a 2001 supra, a 99 GTO, or 97 RX7 or 944s, he can't see the value in my choice. My sister thinks I'm mad because I should go to an auction and get a govt 09 Commodore with 40k's for 15. My mother thinks if I spend a bit more I can get a new car.

Offline Ledge

• Donating Member
  • RB26 Rocket
    • Custom and Classic Cars
How many of us would have purchased a hk monaro
or a gt falcon 10 years ago if we new.
That's the whole problem you can have a guess at what you think
will be worth something in the future and either be a hero or a nut sack.

I used to have an XU1 and sold it for what it was worth when i sold it,
Do i regret it NO, because i sold it for a reason, Yes it would be worth more
now but who cares.
If you are basing what car to buy from what you may sell it for in years to
come then your best of keeping the car you have and saving your money.

If you want a 240 or a 260 or even a Z32 because you love that car
then buy it. The joy you get from owning and driving the car you love
as opposed to the car you should get because its better value for money right
now will far out way how much money you may loose when you sell it.

We had a guy a few years ago spend 60+ g on stretching a P76 500mm longer
so it had more leg room in the back. Now i for one cant understand doing that.
I asked him one day WHY. He said to me What are my choices to buy with leg
room and comfort, I said a Statesman or Ghia etc etc, He than says well i would spend
60g to get one of those and i don't like them so why would i do that when i can spend
the same amount on my favourite car and yes i know in 5-10 years time it will be worth
bugger all but so will the statesman and the ghia but in the meantime i have been
driving a one of car that turns heads wherever it goes and i love it.

So if you want my opinion, Who cares what it may or may not be worth.

Cheers
Paul

Offline MickieB

• Brownie
  • Donating Member
Someone had a signature somewhere that said "Not putting k's on your car to increase resale is like not having sex with your girlfriend to save her for the next guy."

Think that kind of applies here. Once i get my hands on the Zed for me, i won't be thinking at all about resale.
2003 XT Forester daily

Looking to buy 240z or 260z coupe!

Offline luvemfast

• Simon
  • Donating Member
That sig is Jakes, d3c0y

Offline MickieB

• Brownie
  • Donating Member
That's the one.
2003 XT Forester daily

Looking to buy 240z or 260z coupe!

Offline d3c0y

• Garage San Maru
  • Donating Member
  • No, you can't fit 10" wheels without flares...
    • Garage San Maru
 :P
This is all very simple and im going to offend people. Watch me go!
240Zs will be worth the most, more people want them.
260Z 2 seaters will be worth similar money especially as 240Zs get fewer but not quite as much.
280ZXs were never as popular or ground breaking as the first series and Z31s are just not very good sports cars. In my opinion there are VERY few 80's cars that will ever be worth anything. It just wasn't a good time (for sports cars) with leaded fuel being banned and a big jump in safety standards slowing them down and making them weigh more.
Of course there are exceptions to this rule like Simon's car - I regard your car very highly mate. This is a unique case to Australia though because we didnt get the 2 seater 280ZX. The price is starting to get up there in Japan for 2 seater 280ZXs too but i dont think it will ever catch an S30.
Z32s and the Japanese 90s Turbo muscle cars will definitely come back into fashion and i think the Z32 can be likened to what has happened to a 240K recently. No one wanted them, suddenly they became very scarce so when one does finally come up the people who want it are prepared to pay, but they are obviously not as popular as an S30. I think the 2 seat TT variety will be the only one that will be worth much and they will never fetch as much as an R32 GTR (which if you want something to put away is my pick at the moment). All 90s turbo cars at this age are going to be falling appart and have problems.
2+2 of anything that was available in 2 seater wont ever be worth much because generally when cars are classic people dont buy them for practicallity its generally for the price point. Given the option I bet most 2+2 owners here would swap their cars for 2 seat versions.
As Ledg said figure out what you want and buy it. Philisophical postings aren't going to help...
Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Engine: http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,10674.135.html
Car: http://www.facebook.com/Garage.San.Maru

Offline Whittie

:P
This is all very simple and im going to offend people. Watch me go!

Everything said here is very well said and as far as I can tell, about as concise and accurate an answer you're going to get. Anyone who is offended probably doesn't like that their car is not worth as much as others simply due to the number on the hatch or seating arrangement.

Having said that, as it is with all classics, price is HEAVILY dependent on condition. You get 2k 240z's right through to 35k 2+2's, it's so dependent on what has/not been done and whether or not YOU are prepared to pay it. At the end of the day, what someone wants to pay will dictate what it's worth.

What people decide to buy is usually determined by their initial investment decision and what they want to do with the car. I don't do much road driving so my experience is skewed towards performance, but all 3 cars can be made to go just as fast around a track, it's simply a matter of what you would rather drive on the road and/or how much you want to pay up front. However, If I had a dollar for every time someone justified buying a 2+2 on the basis of being ablr to cart the kids around and then never actually put the kids in the car EVER, well, I'd have more than a fist full of coins.

If you're buying your first and you intend on spending a lot of money on it, then the 240 is the way to go. I often regret not ditching the car I had and replacing it with a 240z before undertaking the restoration I have and would advise anyone thinking of spending big bucks to look for a good condition 240. It'll cost more up front, but less in the long run as well as being more desirable. That being said, once a car has been done, I've seen all 3 variants go for pretty much the same money all in the same condition.
'77 260z 2 Seater - Stock as an F22 Raptor

Build Thread --> http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,6991.0.html

Lots of incar videos --> http://www.youtube.com/user/whittie260

Offline Aliangus

Supply and demand will drive price - and with cars demand changes as the buyers change. XU1s GTHO etc became expensive as the people who watched them race as kids got wealthy and then had the disposable to spend on cars. The price will decline as the people who actually watched them race die, and as the cars have less relevance to people born in the 80's who never saw them on a racetrack. Similarly, mid 90's japanese sports cars will probably appreciate in value when people born in the mid 80's get to an age when they can afford (and want) to spend money on this sort of car (but not to the same extent as some of XU1 etc). Cars that were never desirable in the first place will never be worth anything.

That said, if you are just worried about investment - leave your money in the bank. Best way to make a small fortune out of cars is start with a large one.

If you do want a Z, buy the one that's right for you. For example for some people spending say 7k on 240 that is a project might be the right car for them because they want to build it and make it their own, spend countless more hours and dollars on it etc and then drive it in 5 yrs time, but for other people that 7k might be better spent on a Z32 that they can start driving straight away.

As a difference, I bought a +2 so I could take my daughter in it, she's in it 8/10 times I drive it and she thinks its great fun, so I wouldn't swap my bus for a two seater - yet.

Offline thriller

Cars that were never desirable in the first place will never be worth anything.

AE86

Offline dat2kman

• comin' down the mountain!
In Datsun terms, it will be the late 1967 builds, Datsun Sports 2000, the one with the fully removable "low" screen, and flat panel dashboard.
These will outprice due to rarity, any Z model, which would be second on collectability listing.

They were sold here. In '68 they became the "high" screen model, to cater for the taller USA purchasers.

If anyone is interested, i have a early low screen unfinished and incomplete one for sale.
I just race old datsuns:
Group S Historic 280Z ( not a zx but a USA 280z)
Group O/T Historic Datsun Sports 2000
Group G Datsun 120y  with FJ24 fitted( ex G. Fury)
Marque Sports Datsun Fairlady 1966 -SR20DET

Auszcar 240z, 260z, 280zx Forums