Author Topic: Subaru STI R180 LSD into 240Z  (Read 7122 times)

Offline G

Re: Subaru STI R180 LSD into 240Z
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 06:00:37 PM »
Cozza

Any news on how this played out? Do you have the diff in the car now? If so, what's it like?

I'm keen to hear from anyone who has done this successfully, particularly if you used the Technoversions diff mount as well.
1973 Datsun 240z - Silver with Red interior. If you've got red trim, PM me!

Offline Cozza

• Donating Member
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »
G'day G
Yep diff is in the car, I am using an OEM mount and the side axles from Beta Motorsports.

I have given it a pretty hard time over about 1000 k's so far with no issues although there is a bit of play between the side axle and bearing on the drivers side. I have measured both the side axle and the StI axle to be almost identical. I don't have the tools to measure the bearing ID but like I said no issues or noises yet. Will look into it again sometime.

I have the Torsen type LSD unit and have heard reports of them being noisy, but mine is quiet.
Very happy with it locking up under acceleration, haven't had any issues with 1 wheel compression lock up under heavy braking either. (I think the Torsen Is only 1 way). Haven't had it on the track yet so not really pushing it.

I spent $1000 up front including side axles and can now buy a replacement LSD diff less than 5 years old for about $400 if I ever need to.

Also looks original to anyone that is not the most fastidious of enthusiasts.

Overall I am happy with the outcome and would recommend it to others, but am a bit nervous about the play in the axle and once I find the culprit I will let yas know.

Hope that helps but let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

Cheers
Mick

Auszcar 240z, 260z, 280zx Forums

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »